Stocking Thoughts?

SMWD919

HI guys I'm new to this forum and relatively new to this hobby! I was just hoping for some thoughts on stocking my 75 gallon tank. I'm planning on it being heavily planted. I was thinking of dosing iron, potassium and Flourish Excel since running CO2 is not very likely. I have an eco-complete and red fluorite substrate.
Tropical community fish are what I'm looking for and I'm hoping you guys can help! My PH is around 6.5 and I have high lighting and a temp of 78F.

I was thinking:
3 Angelicus Botia Loaches
6 cory's, maybe some skunks and aggasizi?
A couple large schools of small fish, maybe neons or rasboras. Cherry Barbs?
Either Gourami or Angelfish for my "centerpiece" fish
A rio negro pleco or bristlenose
That's all I got, thoughts/ideas for more or less?

mattgirl

I am thinking you shouldn't consider neons if you are going for Angel Fish for your "centerpiece" I am thinking the neons will eventually end up as a light snack for them.

Heavily planted might protect them somewhat though.

MarkN1990

Stocking is not my strong point at all, but j believe in that size tank you could actually have a few angelfish or gourami if you liked, not just a centrepiece

A few Angels roaming round a tank that size would look awesome

tyguy7760

If you are going to do angels, then both the neons and the cory's you picked out are not compatible. Angels like warm water. I'd go with a larger tetra and sterbaI or aeneus cories as alternatives.

That Fish Guy

In My experience, Small fish and Angels don't mix well. I mean unless you want them to get eaten lol. My uncle has a 40 gallon custom built tank and he has 3 Roseline Sharks as his centerpiece. relatively easy and active fish. good for communities and they, if ive read right can get from 4-6 inches.

SMWD919

What if I were to go with just three or four gourami and kept everything else? Opalines and pearls I think..

jpm995

I think the opalines grow huge [over 1 foot]. I would go with smaller gourami's Cardinals look better especially in schools than neons and get a little bigger I think. Rasboras are great fish to. Sepra tetras are cool also. I always like Royal pleckos but their pricey. Glo fish [colored zebras] look great but their not natural.. If you like bigger fish a bosami or iran rainbow are great looking fish One thing I like to do is have fish at different levels Cory's at the bottom with loaches, mid levels [rainbows, cardinals, rasboras] and some top guys [hatchet fish and african butterfly, maybe 1 male betta]. Nice to see fish in all areas of the tank. Save room for an oddball or two [elephant nose, dragon goby, coolie loach] for added interest. Good luck and enjoy your journey.

SMWD919

Thanks!

Jaxsco

Opalines do NOT get that big jpm...They max out at about 6".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

SMWD919

I was thinking they maxed out at around 6 inches?

jpm995

your probably right, I remember seeing a gourami called Lucy in a pet store it was over a foot long and could barely turn around in a 125 gal tank. I thought store owner said it was an opeline, it was dull blue colored.

rgatt74

How many fish are appropriate in a 75 gallon? I'm planning to increase the number of tetras I have and adding kribensis and gouramis,Mobutu I also need corys.

mikerox29

If you are going with corys I would stick to one species as they like to have a nice school of their own. Also the gourami that grows to 1 foot could be a fairly juvenile giant gourami and their potential is much larger than a foot

Anders247

HI guys I'm new to this forum and relatively new to this hobby! I was just hoping for some thoughts on stocking my 75 gallon tank. I'm planning on it being heavily planted. I was thinking of dosing iron, potassium and Flourish Excel since running CO2 is not very likely. I have an eco-complete and red fluorite substrate.
Tropical community fish are what I'm looking for and I'm hoping you guys can help! My PH is around 6.5 and I have high lighting and a temp of 78F.

I was thinking:
3 Angelicus Botia Loaches
6 cory's, maybe some skunks and aggasizi?
A couple large schools of small fish, maybe neons or rasboras. Cherry Barbs?
Either Gourami or Angelfish for my "centerpiece" fish
A rio negro pleco or bristlenose
That's all I got, thoughts/ideas for more or less?
Welcome to fishlore!
I'd do this:
6 aeneus cories
1 angelfish
12 diamond/congo tetras
2 pearl gouramis
1 rainbow cichlid
1 german blue ram
BN pleco.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies