Stocking The 20 Long (again)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MattS99, Apr 26, 2017.

1. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I sadly suddenly lost all 3 of my guppies, so all I have is my 5 Colombian tetras, male platy, and my new male baby Bolivian Ram. There are a few requirements this time. I simply can not add any more Colombians because I can't find them in the area and won't order online. I will not add another Bolivian because I don't want fry or the aggression from the pair. And absolutely NO BOTTOMDWELLERS (cories, plecos, loaches). I've already been toying around in my mind with getting some more platys, but I feel like he'd bully them, he's the boss of the tank and can be aggressive. Any ideas other than those fish that I mentioned or the platies? And don't worry, I won't add new ones for a few weeks. Thanks.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

You're pretty well stocked in the middle/top area of the tank. You could add 1 or 2 more platies or 1 peacock gobe then I'd leave it at that.

3. OP
    OP
    MattS99

The ram never leaves the bottom except for feeding, tetras and platy stay at the middle. I'm actually looking for something to go at the top area.

4. Piaelliott

PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

The 20 gal long doesn't really have a middle because it is only 12 inches high. With substrate even less.
    There are hatchet fish that stay strictly on the surface but they are timid, not ideal with your bossy platy. What about some large Amano shrimp?

5. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I had them a couple years ago when I kept my Colombians, 3 at that point in an 8 gallon (Bad fishkeeper!) They were all eaten in about... 2 days maybe? I'm not too big of a shrimp fan.

6. PartiTime

PartiTimeNew MemberMember

I'm a huge fan of danio. You could easily fit 6-8 zebra or Celestial Pearls in there. I took some zebra danio off a friend years ago thinking they were boring and found them to be busy, nosy, good eaters, and generally great to watch. Thus began my love affair. Are you intending to keep the Ram in there permanently? I don't deal much with cichlids, but it's my understanding from a friend who does that 30 gallons is a base line size for the adult fish. Again, smidge of salt with that...I don't keep them. :)

Let's see...you could go with Ember Tetras, but I find them to be shy in smaller groups. Are you looking for a directional schooling fish?

7. OP
    OP
    MattS99

The Ram is a dwarf cichlid, should only get up to 3-3.5 inches. He is living there permanently. And you can't really do more than one school in a 20, even if it's a long. And I had danios, I don't like them. I don't think they're temp compatible with my fish anyway, especially the platy and the Ram.

8. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I mean, the CPD is cool and is good with the temp I run ( found I was wrong after I did a google search) but I really hesitate adding another school in there, feels like too much fish and not enough space.

9. PartiTime

Copy that re: Ram. My thought on a second schooling fish for you is you don't have a full school of the Columbian tetras, really. Schooling or shoaling fish I always feel is a "more the merrier" situation. So adding a second school might actually work out if you're going 6-8 on the school size. I'm running zebra danio and neon tetras in a 20 long right now, and it works out because the danio prefer the top half and the tetras the bottom half but they mingle whenever they like. It's a balancing act for sure.

So the ideal be a non-schooling fish that is not a bottom-feeder...I'm going to cipher on that.

10. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I kinda like the CPD, and I'm actually looking into them. I've been thinking about rehoming the platy for a while as well. Think I could pull of 6-8 of them with my current stock? Or should I move the platy.

11. PartiTime

Try heading over to aqadvisor.com and checking based on your set up! :) I could run your current set up with 8 CPD on the filtration that I currently have and maintain a water change schedule that wouldn't make me want to cry bitter tears of regret...but I have more filtration than I need on that tank due to....reasons. (I think it ties into the time I decided to stop running 3 20g longs and go to 2 and was like "Oh extra filter now....hmm, meh whatever" and stuck it onto my tank with the Ancistrus in it. That thing is a waste machine)

If not CPD, maybe Endler's Livebearer?

12. PartiTime

<-- and a good video about CPD

13. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Just saw the price for CPD. Not too interested anymore, haha. I'm thinking about them (endlers) for a planted 8. I'm trying to steer clear of livebearers in this tank, as I've been keeping livebearers continuously for 10+ years, kinda want a break.

14. PartiTime

You're set on local buying and not having them shipped in? The lady who makes the video linked above currently has them $4 apiece. :) But I'm a terrible person to talk to. I bought a ragged, sad betta from Petco for $20! :p

15. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Maybe 1-2 peacock gudgeons or a honey gourami? I kept a honey gourami with a bolivian ram in a 29 a couple years ago (same footprint as your 20 long).

16. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Love the honey! Had a pair in this tank. My horrible LFS has them, but they all have ich.

17. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Love the honey. My local LFS has them, but they all have ich. It's a horrible place, the PetSmart is better than them. But then again, our PetSmart is one of the really good ones.

18. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I never order online. I just don't trust it. 2 of the guppies that died? I bought them on Sunday, $6 a fish! Called 'show guppies' at LFS.

19. PartiTime

Ouch! :( See, I haven't got anything within an hour's drive that isn't a chain. I won't buy anything except betta from our chain...I'm a snob. I know that particular seller from YouTube has a very, very good reputation. I am very choosy who I buy from though. :) I buy some from Aquatic Arts, too.

20. OP
    OP
    MattS99

The LFS that I used to buy from closed very suddenly. Like, lost all their money over a weekend. THere's a LFS like 45 mins away, but it sucks! Got the dead guppies from their. But the Bolivian Ram that I bought the same day? Perfectly fine.