Stocking Tetras.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rohit mess, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

Hi. I am working on a established 10 gallon tank (24"x9"x12") with 4 iridescent shark/catfish (4", 5", 9", 9" approx) and 2 common pleco (5" approx).
    As the tank is too small for the big fishies am giving them to LFS.
    1: I want to add Tetra (schooling fish). So which of the tetra species is recommended for the 10g tank. (No, will not be upgrading to larger tank.)
    2: Which other fish should i add that will make tetras to school, but will not eat them. :p
    3: have a filter that generates a moderate flow in the tank.
    Current Substrate= bigger gravels.
    Want to add an earthen small pot for hiding/resting/decor.
    Also the average temp in my region (mumbai, india) varies from 24~34° Celsius.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

How about this stocking
    8 Ember tetras
    2 Male endlers
    5 Amano shrimp
    10 Red cherry shrimp
    1 Nerite snail

2. What do you mean "make the tetras school"? Most schooling fish only school when they are scared or stressed.

3. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

Ty for suggestion of Endlers , they are a cool choice.
    Though i will skip the snail. Not a big fan of them.
    Shrimps good. Will research about them.
    Do they need live plants?

4. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

If you're into bigger tetras, Colombians are a great choice. I've had my school for 2 years now. Active, feed easy. THey just have to establish their own pecking order. Takes a few days.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

^Surely not in a ten gallon tank though.

6. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

You can totally do Colombians in a ten. Don't want to admit it, but they lived perfectly fine in an 8 gallon for a few months... Way happier in the 20 now, though. I'd certainly reccomend the larger tank, but I wouldn't stop you from housing them in a 10.

7. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

Will try smaller ones. Wanna keep them happy too.

8. BottomDweller

They can survive without plants but they would really appreciate them. You could just throw in a bunch of java moss and the shrimp would be happy.

9. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

I would really love a bit of green but i have no idea about any plants. I will still try out with some moss (if i found any in LFS)
    Apart from that i had made decos out of clay pot pieces in my older tank and it can provide hiding places that may be needed for RCS or Tetras.
    And as BottomDweller suggested the stock of endler+tetra+Rcs seems nice.
    Though one query BottomDweller, if i add molly/guppy/platy and a single angel fish to it (since two will make them a mating pair and will kill all other fish) then what will the suggested qty of them.

10. BetrayerWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately, a 10-gallon tank is too small for angelfish, even just one.

I think you could do either 2 male guppies or 2 male platies instead of the endler's that BottomDweller suggested, but not in addition to them. Even mollies may be a little big for a 10-gallon.

Your tank will have a lot of activity and great color with the exact stocking that BottomDweller recommended. I think you will really enjoy it! You can choose whether to include 2 male endler's, guppies, or platies based on your personal preference and availability.

11. OP
    OP
    Rohit mess

Thankyou all for your help.
    Will start on it and let u all know how it works out.

12. BottomDweller

Yeah Angels and mollies need 29 gallons minimum. I think an adult angel would eat ember tetras.

You could swap one or both of the enders for one or two guppies. Or you could swap both enders for a platy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice