Stocking Tetras, German Blue Ram, And Discus

1. Kalawix

Kalawix New Member Member

So Ive gotten a good idea on what species of fish I wanna stock. As you can tell on the title its tetras, GBR, and Discus.
    My next question is if there is an order to placing these fish into the tank?Like should the Discus be in the tank first then the GBR then Tetras? Or do you just add them all together?
    If I wanted to add fish at different times, to save money what order could I place these 3 species of fish?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Kalawix

This is a 75 gal tank.

4. Discus-Tang

I'd add the discus last. What tetras are you using?

5. OP
    OP
    Kalawix

Neon Tetras

6. Discus-Tang

They aren't compatible with discus. Try cardinal tetras?

7. OP
    OP
    Kalawix

I guess I was misinformed I was told any kind of tetras will work? What is the difference between neon tetra and cardinal tetra?

8. Discus-Tang

Neons are incompatible because of their temperature range. They can only really live up to 25-26 degrees Celsius. Cardinals can go up to 30, the optimal range for discus.

Cardinals have a bigger red spot, that goes most of the way Down their body.

9. OP
    OP
    Kalawix

Any other tips when it comes to adding these fish to the tank? When it involves discus

10. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

There is huge differences between the different tetra species. Neon tetras are fish that like cooler water and their temperature maxes out at around 76. Cardinals, on the other hand, can tolerate the 80+ degree temperature that discus and blue rams require.
    Make sure to add your tetras first, and have them for a few months before adding discus and rams. Both are incredibly sensitive and like a well established tank.
    Liveaquaria is a good site to order fish if you want to get them all in one go online, but I would recommend going to a LFS instead if possible.