Stocking Ten-gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nano Aquatist, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Nano Aquatist

Nano AquatistNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Everyone,

I recently had planned to set up a small five-gallon in my studio apartment. But the maximum tank size allowed by my lease is actually ten gallons, so I decided to upgrade to that since a ten-gallon starter kit on Amazon was actually cheaper than the smaller tank.

Originally, I was just going to get a Betta fish, but I'm unsure what to do now that I have a larger tank. I do still like the idea of a Betta for two main reasons: (1) they are visually attractive and also seem to have more personality than other fish and (2) I really like the idea of rescuing one since it may otherwise wind up in a small bowl or vase.

However, I feel like the ten-gallon tank would need something else in it. After some online research, I have decided that I'd like to keep either red cherry or blue velvet shrimp in the tank. I would like the shrimp to establish a decent colony. I don't want things to get out of control though, so having a fish to pick off some of the shrimp fry would be helpful. Would a Betta be good for this?

If not, my other idea was to get two or three fancy guppy males with the shrimp. (No females so that their population doesn't get out of control either.) They seem like hardy, colorful fish, and I've read that they'd likely eat shrimp fry but leave the adults alone, but I'm not sure whether they are as personable as Bettas. Any comments on guppy personalities would also be appreciated.

Obviously, I wouldn't add shrimp until the tank is fully established. It's worth nothing that by that point, it will have several different live plant species in it: java ferns, java moss, Anubias, water ferns, hornwort, money wort, Amazon swords, jungle vallisneria, and dwarf saggitaria. It will also have some drift wood and dragon rock. (I'm planning a very natural, "junglesque" look.) I'm hoping all the plants would afford shrimp plenty of hiding spots should I decide to get a Betta.

Sorry for such a long-winded post! I'd appreciate any comments from people with first-hand experience with shrimp and Betta/guppies. Thanks!

2. CaptAnnDuchow

CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Experience:
    Just started
    The bettas love shrimp..mine has gotten ahold of 2 of the smaller ghost shrimp already..bit it was kinda my fault..i didnt have enough hiding spots for them..now i have tons more and all is good now

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My bettas ate my ghost shrimp. So some eat shrimp some don't. Good ground cover will help the shrimp survive. There are quite a few on here that have shrimp with their betta and don't have any issues.

4. Brett S.

Brett S.Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +132
    Experience:
    2 years
  5. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have had guppies and they are still nice fish, but they don't have much thought process and are not nearly as personable as bettas, and I warn you they are terrible beggars so they will be zipping back and forth at the glass trying to get you to give them food as soon as you walk in the room and as soon as they can't see you anymore they go back to normal. I still like guppies but a betta would probably do better as a personal pet.

Something you can do if you want more than one fish is get a divider for the tank so you can have 2 bettas, some people prefer a smaller tank rather than a divided one but is works if you want to keep multiple bettas in like a 10 tank or something.

As for the betta and the shrimp, it highly depends on the betta, some bettas will eat them and some won't. My betta just views them as an extra food source, so if she misses a meal or something and gets hungry then she might go after a shrimp, she's a pretty bad at catching them so I have only seen her get one, but several have gone missing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    Just to give you some different ideas / options
    8 Celestial Pearl Danio + Blue Velvet Shrimp
    OR
    10 Chili Rasbora + Yellow Cherry Shrimp
    OR
    2 Sparkling Gourami + 7 Clown Killifish

7. nedpatrick

nedpatrickWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    No offense but neither of these stocks are appropriate for a 10 gallon cardinals should be kept in a 20 gallon minimum and Cory’s require groups of 6 at a minimum and even the dwarf Cory’s need a 20 gallon. Also dwarf Cory’s aren’t solely bottom dwellers like the other species instead they will swim more in the middle.

A few of my favorite stocks are(Shrimp can be added to any of these without worry of being eaten!)

8-10 Chili Micro Rasboras
    OR
    8-10 Ember Tetras
    OR
    8-10 Norman’s Lampeye Killis

Is there anything specific that you’re after? Like do you want a school or more of a single fish?

8. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sparkling Gouramis are not shrimp safe. Such a pity, they are beautiful. My shrimp tanks have either CPDs, Ember Tetras, or Neon Red Blue Eyed Rainbow fish. The NRBERs are my favorite. There are more I could list, but don't own or never have had with shrimp.

9. OP
    OP
    Nano Aquatist

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for all these responses!

Regarding what I'm after, I'm fairly openminded at this point, but I am also limited to fish stocked by either Petsmart or Petco--there are no independent fish stores anywhere near me and I can't really afford to have fish shipped to me. (It's also rather cold right now in my area so I wouldn't consider shipping anyway.) I noticed that my local Petco only had Bettas, fancy guppies, Julii Corydoras, neon tetras, and a few other run-of-the-mill species.

As for schooling fish, I do like the look of chili rasporas, and I agree that they'd be fine with shrimp, but I have not seen them in either chain pet store. I also like Corys, but it seems that they, as well as most other common schooling fish, are better suited for environments with 20+ gallons. I know some people keep Neons in ten-gallon tanks, but I'm not sure that that's appropriate for them.

Overall though, I would say I'm leaning toward a single fish. I want something with personality, like a Betta. I'm just hoping that I can still have a fairly prosperous shrimp colony.

10. OP
    OP
    Nano Aquatist

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you very much for the insight into guppy behavior. I've personally only had Bettas before, so it's helpful to know that not all fish are as inquisitive and playful as they are. I agree that they're probably a more exciting pet than guppies would be in my case.

I notice that you have a female Betta--do you think picking a female would ultimately lead to less agression? I've read differing accounts of female; some people say they are just as agressive as the males.

11. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    1 year
    It highly depends on the fish, some female may be more aggressive, some males may be more aggressive, from what I know you generally have a better chance for females to be okay with other aquatic life, but my girl is just a baby and she flares at her reflection all the time and has nipped snail antennas and eaten shrimp. She more go's after other aquatic life out of curiosity or hunger less than aggression, but I don't think she would be okay with other fish.