Stocking tanks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 0morrokh, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

If I get the 20g I want for my b-day, I am just wondering how many fish I can add at a time. Of course I am cycling fishless. First I will be moving my 4 Guppies, 2 Platys, and 2 Otos from my 10g into the 20, and then quarintining and adding more fish. I will probably add fewer fish at a time after putting in the Otos, to make sure I can maintain good water quality, but basically I'm wondering if I can put the Guppies and Platys in all at once, or 2 at a time, or whatever. Thanks in advance. :)

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

If you are doing a fishless cycle, once it's done cycling, you will be able to add a full bio load of fish to your new tank. That is one of the beauties of fishless cycling! If you are gonna add your gupies, platies, and otos, with more new fish later, I'd say only add maybe 2 fish every 2 weeks until the full bio load is reached. That will give your bacteria time to adjust and you won't have much of a mini cycle. ;)

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Wow, I didn't realize you could add all your fish right away! I'm assuming you've tried this? Sorry, I'm not doubting you, I just get kind of paranoid about my fishies...don't we all? :p
    So you're saying I can stick in all the fish from my 10g right away after cycling, but then only add 2 fish at a time after that to avoid creating a mini cycle? What about the Glowlight Tetras? They're so small, and wouldn't they be happier if I added them at least 3 at a time?

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I keep changing my plans for the tank. I might get a bunch of tetras. So after it's done cycling, I can just throw in like 12 tetras without it mini-cycling? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just trying to clear things up for myself...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice