Stocking Tank Mates With Betta Help

taylormarie213

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! Quick question (kinda) here:

I have a new 10 gal aquarium and I have my Betta in another tank but would love to put him in this one which is much bigger than the one he has now. Anyways, I was thinking of getting some tetras as some tank mates. My boyfriend's sister has a 10 gal or something and has a Betta with some neon tetras and they are peaceful together.
The other day, I added a Black Racer Nerite Snail to my Betta's tank. He (the Betta) was upset so I removed the snail. I'm afraid he will be upset with the other fish. If that's the case, I will get him his own upgraded tank.
My question is is how do I introduce the Betta with the tetras? Should I put the tetras in the tank first then maybe the next day or so introduce the Betta? Or should I put the Betta in first then the tetras? I want all the fish to have a peaceful relationship and not be stressed out.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't put him into anything smaller than a 20 gal long if you're thinking of adding other fish. Tetras are very active schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6- thus need about 10 gallons minimum on their own. They need at least 6 to be able to school and without it they will not feel safe. Bettas are extremely territorial and need a space of their own where they can be away from other fish. In a 10 gal there just isn't enough room for that to happen.
Snails are usually the safest bet because of how they're usually earth-toned, slow, and generally don't do a whole lot. The fact that yours reacted poorly to a nerite makes me think you shouldn't try him with other fish. Tetras can be ok because of their speed but even if they can outrun the betta everyone in the tank will likely live in constant stress. Having a lot of plants and places to hide may reduce this but not eliminate it.
All that being said if you really want to try it then get tetras that aren't brightly coloured at all and add them first. I specify dull ones because then it's pretty clear that they aren't other bettas coming into his territory. Don't take down his tank just incase it goes poorly. Put him into a breeder box/net and see how it goes. If he's flaring a bunch and generally freaking out then it's not going to work.
Again though because I cannot stress this enough- a 10 gal with 6 tetras and a betta will be overstocked and stressful.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with everything that was said. It'll definitely depend on your betta, but seeing as he didnt like the snail he probably wont be fish friendly. Even if they DO get along, keep in mind that bettas personalities tend to change as they mature, so they may end up turning aggressive towards tank mates they were friendly with later on.

Its always a gamble, but it can be done depending on your fish.

I have 2 sororities. One I wouldnt trust the girls with any other fish ever. And the other the girls are in a community tank with plecos, platies, danios and a molly and they all get along great. But even then I still gotta keep an eye on the girls to make sure they dont decide to start lashing out. The only reason I even have 2 sororities is because not all the girls were compatible with each other. The betta only sorority were just too aggressive for the other ones to be a part of their group cuz of how friendly those girls were.

You always need to have at least 1 backup plan, if not more, just in case things dont go well.

taylormarie213

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
luckdown said:
I agree with everything that was said. It'll definitely depend on your betta, but seeing as he didnt like the snail he probably wont be fish friendly. Even if they DO get along, keep in mind that bettas personalities tend to change as they mature, so they may end up turning aggressive towards tank mates they were friendly with later on.

Its always a gamble, but it can be done depending on your fish.

I have 2 sororities. One I wouldnt trust the girls with any other fish ever. And the other the girls are in a community tank with plecos, platies, danios and a molly and they all get along great. But even then I still gotta keep an eye on the girls to make sure they dont decide to start lashing out. The only reason I even have 2 sororities is because not all the girls were compatible with each other. The betta only sorority were just too aggressive for the other ones to be a part of their group cuz of how friendly those girls were.

You always need to have at least 1 backup plan, if not more, just in case things dont go well.
A sorority tank sounds like a good idea too!
How many female bettas is good for a sorority? What’s the minimum number of female bettas that can form a sorority since I don’t want to overcrowd the tank? Is it a good size for a 10 gal? And can I add some tetras? I don’t want to overcrowd the tank.

luckdown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I
taylormarie213 said:
A sorority tank sounds like a good idea too!
How many female bettas is good for a sorority? What’s the minimum number of female bettas that can form a sorority since I don’t want to overcrowd the tank? Is it a good size for a 10 gal? And can I add some tetras? I don’t want to overcrowd the tank.
I would not do a sorority in a 10 gallon tank, youd need at least a 20 gallon long. But the Min number of females I'd do is 5 to space out the aggression, and the tank should be heavily planted to break up their line of sight.

But a sorority in a 10 gallon is really a disaster waiting to happen and I do not reccomend attempting that, especially not with tetras as well.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Betta male is enjoying life with a bunch of White Clouds in a 15g hexagonal aquarium......he schools with them sometimes too

The Betta & his Minnows all came together and are all very young/small so that helps with getting along with each other.

Another little detail with my lad is that he was aquarium born & bred and is an extremely active (almost hyper) Betta in 75.5 degree water. He has never known water any warmer than that and he is perfectly healthy and happy...eats like a piggy, charges around like a lunatic and very interactive with the Minnows and me (I know the temperature is something that makes most squeal but he is absolutely perfectly fine and thriving.....he's a very happy little sausage )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom