Stocking Tank and End of Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by LadySamsara, Aug 2, 2015.

1. LadySamsaraValued MemberMember

I just completed a fishless cycle on my ten gallon tank (I know - that's the largest tank my complex allows :(

I have a very mellow Halfmoon Betta and want to put him in the 10 gallon with 6 Rasboras, hopefully mini or dwarf. I also have 2 small snails. I know I am taking a chance putting the Betta in with the Rasboras but have read more good than bad situations.

I do weekly water changes and will monitor the water to make sure I am keeping the ammonia at zero.

Also, how long after a fishless cycle do you vacumn the gravel. The directions said do an 80% water change and leave everything alone. I am wondering when to start vacumning.

Any and all assistance/input is greatly appreciated - Thank you!

2. NympxzieValued MemberMember

Some people vacuum the gravel weekly, others do it every other week or once a month depending n bio load. Do 30-50% water changes weekly though, vacuum frequency is up to you!

3. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

No matter how mellow, I feel like it's always a chance on whether the betta will attack or not. good luck ;)

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What type of rasboras? Depending on the type they may be too big/active for this tank size.
    And yes, I wouldn't do the betta with other fish.
    If I were to do it, 20 gallon min, so the tank is too small for a betta community anyways.

5. CatahoolaValued MemberMember

I vacuum weekly. If I wait a couple weeks, the sand starts to get a little dirty. Depends on the tank though, do it as you need to!

6. LadySamsaraValued MemberMember

Thank you all for your responses! I do know it's hit or miss with putting a Betta in a community tank - I did lots of research and the consensus was the rasboras, I was going to try and get the dwarf ones to lighten the load on the tank. Anders297 is apparently very well schooled in fish keeping and says the 10 gallon is too small but everything I have read says you can put 6 small rasboras in with one Betta (he's a small guy) in a 10 gallon tank, but you can't always believe what you read or it isn't the right thing to do. I don't know if I am asking for trouble - but I really don't want to have just the Betta in the tank, sorry to say but kind of boring lol. They say the sight of a schooling group of rasboras are a magnificent sight! I would certainly test and keep up on my water changes (have had tanks since 2000 but always small tanks as I am an apt. dweller - complex rules). The LFS will take the rasboras back if there is a problem...I am so tempted to give it a try and keep a really GOOD watch on the fish behavior. Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated - Thank you!

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What type of rasboras are they though? Harlequins or something else? Harlequins are too big for this tank. And imo, a 10g is too small for a betta community, so you will have problems..... JMO.

8. mexi1228Valued MemberMember

I have an awesome half moon in a five gallon with two dwarf frogs and a two inch phantom pleco... ( easy people he's only in there till I set up my larger tank..) but my betta gets along great with his mates... Maybe yours will get along with his mates too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice