stocking suggestions

flabzqblock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've got 6 Neon Tetras and 1 Bristlenose Catfish (I Know will get too big for my tank but will put in to bigger tank Relativley soon) Just wondering if anyone has any stocking ideas for my hex tank!!

somone on here suggested angel fish who would be good in a hexagon tank but then read that they wouldnt go well with the tetras!!

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think your BN Pleco will be fine in your tank. They only get to around 6 inches. That may be a grey area so if you have had a conversation with someone who advised you against keeping your pleco in your tank I don't want to step on their toes.

There aren't really different kinds of Angels. There are wild Angels such as Altums and different color strains and fin shapes that people have bred but I wouldn't put any of them in a 20 gallon hex tank. There isn't a big enough footprint for angels. The fact that the tank is taller doesn't matter. The Angles don't swim up and down like a smaller more bullet shaped fish might.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Angels get to be about 6" wide and 10" tall and swim with the grace and flexibility of a manhole cover, IMO. And they will make a quick snack of the neons.

I'd do:
6 neons
1 BN pleco
4 small corys like Julii
or
10 Pygmy corys
1 honey gourami

-Lisa

flabzqblock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok so no angelfish!!!! not that keen on the corys any other small fish i could get???

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's the footprint of the tank? You might have room for small loaches like dwarf chain, multi-banded or Burmese rosy (I have no idea how available they are on your side of the pond, though). Hex tanks are tricky to stock because the footprint is small compared to the volume.

You could do dwarf shrimp instead of bottomdwelling fish, but it's not quite the same.

-Lisa

benny1992

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
galaxy rasbora is a very nice fish that grow to 2cm and would go fine with the neons,
i would go for a
neon / rasbora tank ( 5 of each )
1 - siamese fighter fish
1 - otto

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have to respectfully disagree with putting a betta (aka Siamese fighter fish) in the tank. There is a lot of controversy about the betta's suitability for community tanks. There are members here who have successfully kept bettas, both male and female (but not together ) in community tanks without a problem. Then there are those who have had weeks, months or even years of peaceful coexistance and then one day the betta just snapped. And then there are members who have kept bettas that would flare at and attack so much a snail. I, personally, have never owned a betta, so take what I say as you will. But to me, the controversy exists for a reason and the mere fact that it exsists keeps me from trying it. No one debate's a platy's suitability for community tanks. To me, it's just not worth the risk. But there are some with a more robust sense of adventure than I have, and are willing to give it a go.

Otos are schooling fish and shouldn't be kept alone. They also need mature tanks because they are sometimes fragile.

-Lisa

flabzqblock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i was gonna get otts but decided against it as like you said they need a much mor mature tank which is why i went for the bristlenose instead which was a a great choice as i love my bristlenose!!! i was originally going to get a betta as i love the look of them but not in this tank which i want to be a peaceful community tank. galaxy rasbora fish are kool as are dwarf gourami i might look into those types

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom