40 Gallon Tank Stocking Suggestions?

Feesh404

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, I started my summer off with 12 Tiger Barbs in a lovely 36G aquarium. I wasn't around much this summer, so my aquarium went from having weekly changes to a 50% change every 2 weeks. I return home yesterday and, the all have passed on.

Ok so that's the sad part. So I think what I'm going to do is basically thourougly clean out the aquarium, as in clean as much of the gravel as possible, get that calcium build-up off the lid (I already have a solid bacteria colony, as this aquartium has been running for about 2-3 years). So basically I'm open for suggestions.

moiz4got

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Could you let us know the dimensions of you tank and what kind of fish do you want to keep.

Accordingly I am sure the experts will guide you on the same. As for me I would go for monster fish like an aro with a pair of red eye giant gourami along with a couple of clown loaches or albino algae eaters.

May I suggest to have a sump filtration system to be used if you are travelling offen.

Feesh404

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could you let us know the dimensions of you tank and what kind of fish do you want to keep.

Accordingly I am sure the experts will guide you on the same. As for me I would go for monster fish like an aro with a pair of red eye giant gourami along with a couple of clown loaches or albino algae eaters.

May I suggest to have a sump filtration system to be used if you are travelling offen.
Apologies for the late reply, but the dimensions are:
33 in x 17.5 in x 52 in
I have considered getting a sump acctually, but then some other fellow on the forum said I really don't need it or something.
Also this aquarium is 36 gallons, so I think it's a bit small for a giant gourami, or an aro

Feesh404

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just to clarify 52 tall or long?
Oh good heavens! I realized the measurements i applied were with the stand included. The real size of the aquarium (the part where the fish go in) is:
32x19x11 (lxhxw)

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there anything that really catches your eye? Cichlids, Barbs, Tetra, Livebarers, Gourami, a community, planted? We can go from there, it'll help others as well. Also anything you don't think you want?

Feesh404

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
as a side note, you'll need to keep the filter on and feed the tank with a source of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.
I know, I've done this before,
Is there anything that really catches your eye? Cichlids, Barbs, Tetra, Livebarers, Gourami, a community, planted? We can go from there, it'll help others as well. Also anything you don't think you want?
As for this, a dwarf gourami would be awesome, a community tank is all i ask including that. Or anything exotic that i could have a few of

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok how about a simple community set up, 77f.
1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Warm water Corydoras, Sterbai or I think Bronze are?
If you start with this there is some wiggle room for other fish.

Top Bottom