Stocking Suggestions

lacancap

Reaction score
Hey all! I recently lost a Dwarf Gourami ( :/ ) to Iridovirus and am looking for a replacement to my tank (standard 10 gallon, planted, black substrate). The tank currently has 3 guppies (M), 2 endlers (M), 2 Platy (M), and a mystery snail. The tank was at ~120% stocking on aqadvisor but went a month without any ammonia spikes (daily or every other day liquid tests) so I’m looking for around “20%” worth of fish according to AQAdvisor. I’m thinking about some more guppies (10%), endlers (5%), or a Molly (15%) or some African dwarf frogs (5%) or Neon Tetra (4% each or 20-25% for 5-6). The DG was my centerpiece fish and a bright blue with really pretty orange accents, but I don’t want to get another one because DGI was super depressing. Does anyone have any ideas for any replacements?

My LFS are just Petco/Petsmart, so there’s a limited amount of options.

Thanks!

lacancap

Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore!
I wouldn't add any more fish. Aqadvisor is not accurate.
Mollies, neon tetras, and dwarf gouramis need a bigger tank. ADFs should not be kept with fish.
If you add anything, I would suggest shrimp or snails.
That was my reservation on mollies and neon tetra; I planned to rehome the DG when he grew >3” (based on what i read, in about a year), but he expired before then

I think your tank is already fully stocked. Maybe try some dwarf shrimp?
I’ll look into some Neocaridina! A question though – what’s a good algorithmic way to calculate stocking for future reference? I’ve used aqadvisor as a general guide, surfed the forums, and, after adding fish, did daily ammonia/water parameter tests for 2 weeks (and charted them) to make sure that everything was okay. This was with the dwarf gourami in the tank, and he’s gone now – so it would seem intuitive to me that I have a relatively decent bb colony that can deal with some more waste. I’m just a beginner though, so I could be wrong – and would be more than happy to adjust my algorithm for future reference! (I’m definitely looking into getting more tanks in the future and am a math major, so generalized rules appeal to me )

KassandraXo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to fishlore!
I wouldn't add any more fish. Aqadvisor is not accurate.
Mollies, neon tetras, and dwarf gouramis need a bigger tank. ADFs should not be kept with fish.
If you add anything, I would suggest shrimp or snails.
Agreed.

Plus it is FREAKING HARD to get ADFs to eat when there are fish in the tank. They are slow and dumb so they almost never get their food and the fish snatch it up before they get a chance. I think you should keep the tank the way it is or add a few Ghost Shrimp in. They are fun to watch with a smaller bioload and they really help keep my substrate clean.

lacancap

Reaction score
Agreed.

Plus it is FREAKING HARD to get ADFs to eat when there are fish in the tank. They are slow and dumb so they almost never get their food and the fish snatch it up before they get a chance. I think you should keep the tank the way it is or add a few Ghost Shrimp in. They are fun to watch with a smaller bioload and they really help keep my substrate clean.
Okay! It seems there’s a consensus to keep the tank the way it is — which is probably what I’ll do (but I might add a few shrimp ) My question is just how people arrive at this consensus – i’m most likely to branch out into other tanks in the future or restock this one in 2-3 years (since I have only one gender of fish) and was wondering what the best quant model for this was that was generalizable to any tank of n gallons. (As much as I like this forum, I’d prefer not to have to post every time I want to make a trip to the fish store <3 ).

The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels were perfect (0, 0, 5-10) for over 2 weeks with the dwarf gourami. Why does his removal not change the stocking level of the tank?

KassandraXo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay! It seems there’s a consensus to keep the tank the way it is — which is probably what I’ll do (but I might add a few shrimp ) My question is just how people arrive at this consensus – i’m most likely to branch out into other tanks in the future or restock this one in 2-3 years (since I have only one gender of fish) and was wondering what the best quant model for this was that was generalizable to any tank of n gallons. (As much as I like this forum, I’d prefer not to have to post every time I want to make a trip to the fish store <3 ).

The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels were perfect (0, 0, 5-10) for over 2 weeks with the dwarf gourami. Why does his removal not change the stocking level of the tank?
It's a mix of a bunch of things for me. I go off of my own personal experience, Aquadvisor, forums, 1 inch of fish per gallon rule (I use this very loosely) and LFS employees with a good reputation. Places like PetSmart will tell you complete **** IMO.

It's not only your parameters but the quality of life for the fish. Too many fish in a tank can stress them out which can lead to illness, less oxygen in the water for them to breath, the fish can get cramped and become aggressive etc. Think of it like this...CAN you fit 10 people in a 1 bedroom apartment and with extra work keep the apartment clean? Yes. But will it be enjoyable for the occupants? No not really!

Add in some live plants to help with parameters! Will save you a bit of work and the fish will enjoy it. But if you are dead set on adding something else I would get Ghost Shrimp or Neocaridina shrimp. Like I said they are so much fun to watch. My husband isn't into the fish thing but he loves watching my Shrimp tanks

lacancap

Reaction score
It's a mix of a bunch of things for me. I go off of my own personal experience, Aquadvisor, forums, 1 inch of fish per gallon rule (I use this very loosely) and LFS employees with a good reputation. Places like PetSmart will tell you complete **** IMO.

It's not only your parameters but the quality of life for the fish. Too many fish in a tank can stress them out which can lead to illness, less oxygen in the water for them to breath, the fish can get cramped and become aggressive etc. Think of it like this...CAN you fit 10 people in a 1 bedroom apartment and with extra work keep the apartment clean? Yes. But will it be enjoyable for the occupants? No not really!

Add in some live plants to help with parameters! Will save you a bit of work and the fish will enjoy it. But if you are dead set on adding something else I would get Ghost Shrimp or Neocaridina shrimp. Like I said they are so much fun to watch. My husband isn't into the fish thing but he loves watching my Shrimp tanks

Based on what everyone’s said, I don’t think I’m going to add anything except a few shrimp.

My problem is this – aqadvisor said my tank was at stocking level with the DG — but it seems people on here think its seriously overstocked. The fish per gallon rule gave me some space too (especially since I chose all males because they’re smaller, but this rule isn’t that good anyway) and I don’t have an lfs except Petsmart so I don’t really trust what they say and can’t ask them.

I’d like to develop a general model for future tanks — I don’t want to keep 10 people in that apartment, but I want to know at what point does the apartment start to feel crowded? Even with the DG in the tank, it didn’t seem like there was any stress among the other inhabitants — no hiding or clamped fins or discoloration, and everyone had a voracious appetite (except the ill DG ). Maybe it was okay because he was sick and hiding at the bottom so he didn’t count as “space”?

i’m just confused because I trust the people on here quite a bit — but their conclusions conflicts with those of the quantitative tests (aqadvisor, inch-per-gallon, surface area test) that I’ve conducted. I didn’t really do too much extra work — just a 15L (~4 gallon or 40%) water change every week with a vacuum for 1/2 of the substrate.

I’ve decided not to get anything else for this tank — but don’t know what I can trust to stock tanks in the future, if the numbers aqadvisor is spitting out are wrong. This entire thing just seems too complicated and the mathematical models too complicated for it to be worth it

Also, the tank is moderately planted. It has Elodea Densa, which I’ve read papers about saying it sucks up nitrates like crazy, and some java fern.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Based on what everyone’s said, I don’t think I’m going to add anything except a few shrimp.

My problem is this – aqadvisor said my tank was at stocking level with the DG — but it seems people on here think its seriously overstocked. The fish per gallon rule gave me some space too (especially since I chose all males because they’re smaller, but this rule isn’t that good anyway) and I don’t have an lfs except Petsmart so I don’t really trust what they say and can’t ask them.

I’d like to develop a general model for future tanks — I don’t want to keep 10 people in that apartment, but I want to know at what point does the apartment start to feel crowded? Even with the DG in the tank, it didn’t seem like there was any stress among the other inhabitants — no hiding or clamped fins or discoloration, and everyone had a voracious appetite (except the ill DG ). Maybe it was okay because he was sick and hiding at the bottom so he didn’t count as “space”?

i’m just confused because I trust the people on here quite a bit — but their conclusions conflicts with those of the quantitative tests (aqadvisor, inch-per-gallon, surface area test) that I’ve conducted. I didn’t really do too much extra work — just a 15L (~4 gallon or 40%) water change every week with a vacuum for 1/2 of the substrate.

I’ve decided not to get anything else for this tank — but don’t know what I can trust to stock tanks in the future, if the numbers aqadvisor is spitting out are wrong. This entire thing just seems too complicated and the mathematical models too complicated for it to be worth it

Also, the tank is moderately planted. It has Elodea Densa, which I’ve read papers about saying it sucks up nitrates like crazy, and some java fern.
There really isn't a magic formula for stocking a tank. Aqadvisor is just a weird calculator thing, which makes no sense because you can't really put a specific number on the %age of bioload a fish has. The fish per gallon rule is inaccurate because it also defies logic, such as a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank, or 2 5 inch fish in a 10g. Stocking a tank depends on many variables, like if fish are compatible behavior-wise, temperature wise, etc., as well as size, activity levels, whether they want fast moving water or not...

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom