Stocking Suggestions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by newbiefishgrl, Aug 12, 2015.

1. newbiefishgrlNew MemberMember

So I just bought a 40 gal and it's set up and ready to go but I have no idea what to put in it!! Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle (click the link!)? Is your tank cycled? How long have you had it set up, and how did you cycle it?

It's better for the fish to cycle your tank before you add them :)

After you cycle it, you have lots of options for stocking! What kind of fish were you thinking of? A few big, many small, particular colors or behaviors?

3. newbiefishgrlNew MemberMember

I am not sure what your talking about ..... My levels were all normal!

I really like rainbow fish and angel fish but other than that not really sure!!! Really excited but I don't really know which route to go!

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What levels? How did you test them?

1 or 2 Angelfish would look great in a 40 gal breeder :)

You should click the link in my previous post and read about the nitrogen cycle.

5. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    You probably don't know about the nitrogen cycle, this should help Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

6. newbiefishgrlNew MemberMember

We have a tester kit! My kiddo has a smaller tank so between both tanks we bought a large kit to test them with! ;).....

I love Angels but what can you put with them?

Maybe our nitrogen is off because the shade was a little off but not significantly!! (....maybe I need to buy some cheap for tomorrow!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You don't measure nitrogen directly with the test kits. What are you buying for cheap tomorrow? What were the test results?

Take a look at the links provided by Brandon and myself (links go to the same page). They should explain the nitrogen cycle and what the test kits are measuring (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates).

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Test strips are inaccurate, so you need to get an API liquid test kit.

As for stocking, what type of fish are you interested in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice