Stocking Suggestions Pls

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sassymomma, Apr 16, 2018.

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Ok, now that my tank is sorted out, and I have fixed my lights and plants. I need to again look at hardy schooling fish.

I need hardy fish because for a couple of days after storms my tap reads .25-.50 ammonia. I don’t trust my water source to be stable enough for sensitive fish

I have a 38 bow front
    6 khulis
    1 bn pleco
    2 guppies survived the cycle crash in my tank after a filter packed in. But they’re both back up now and the tank stable

I run at 78....have tried to recalibrate my jager heater daily for almost a week now but it’s determined to run at 78, so that’s not optional lol.

Normal parameters 0/0/20

Image1523880288.147694.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You could definitely fit one or more schools of fish, just depends what you like!
    I personally always recommend Cherry Barbs, they are super colorful, and extremely active fish.

You can try Rummynose Tetras, those would look cool.
    I would add more kuhli loaches, about ten would be nice.

What do you prefer?

3. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I like them both, but I think I lean just a little more to the cherry barb, because I love how the new light makes the orange guppy “pop”

Adding more khulis could be a challenge- it took me a year and two lfs stores to find my six lol

4. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Are cherry barbs ok with guppies?

My daughter is asking for the two survivors, but only has a ten gallon with 5minnows in it so I don’t know if she has space lol

If they’re too nippy I’ll pick another fish

5. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I'm reviving this thread, rather than opening up a fresh one...partly because my info is already here.

One key change: I FINALLY got my heater adjusted downwards, letting me pick from cooler temperature fish. Which I'm thrilled with, as I love WCMM, danios, rosy reds, etc for their activity levels. I'm sitting at 76 now.

I know that the khulis and BN are going to be comfortable within this range, they might even be more so here than at the 79 that I ran for the guppies and previously the bettas.

My only restocking concern is for that one guppy male that survived (lost the last female this morning to dropsy...which doesnt surprise me, given the recent fungal infection, medication, and cycle crash that she and the others endured ) Will he shoal with minnows, or should I include male guppies? If so, how many males, and how many minnows does that leave room for? I HAD considered moving him out, but I only have a couple of other options: 10 gallon un-heated minnow tank/2.5 gallon betta tank holding aggressive killer female/5 gallon male bettta tank...new, and inter-fish disposition unknown. he's better where he is.

I don't really want to get rid of him, he's the only fish I ever had born in my own tanks. silly, but he's kind of special to me. The only ther fish I'm this attached to is Houdini the pleco, whom I bought as a tiny baby fish and had to rescue from inside my filter motor a half-dozen times before scrapping the thing for a model that didn't have a lovely cave as part of it's design lol..

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Cherry barbs are fine with guppies. I’m finishing some young guppies with an established cherry bard tank. These youngsters have been in with 9 cherrys for 10 days, no issues.

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I ended up getting 3more male guppies and six harlequins. If they settle on I’ll max them out at about 12-15

The harlequins are a risk.....I had them once and local construction caused my tap ammonia to spike, causing devastating losses...... but I’m running a five and ten gallon tank now, so if I get really desperate for cycled water I can get it from the Betta tank and clean more often. He certainly won’t mind a cleaner tank

8. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I just started a 29 gallon office tank. Never had harlequins but wanted a tight schooling fish. They are growing on me, quickly.

But I hit the fish store just before closing after setting up the tank. Ordered 12 from one employee, then went to the Cory tanks. They had my fish on the counter when I went to pay.

Got back to the office, there were 10, 1 dead one.

That was Saturday evening. I came in this morning and there were 9 :), and they had gotten some of their color back. I love the tight school and may add 8 more in a week or 2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice