Stocking suggestions needed for 55 Gallon

myfishskip

Reaction score
Hi I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon.
I would be intrested in any suggestions for a sucky on the glass fish (one that doesn't poop like crazy) I would need to know if it should be kept alone or in groups and what other food it will need after eating algae in my tank.

This fish would need to get along with the following a Dwarf Gourami, Neon Tetra's, Cory's and Harlequin Rasbora.

I would like a larger (for 55 gallon) fish that wont eat my neons or cause trouble with my DG any suggestions?
I would love to get an angel fish are there any kinds of angels that wont eat neons?????? ..
Again will this fish need to be kept alone or in a group.

Thankyou for any suggestions

Brut

Reaction score
myfishskip said:
Hi I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon.
I would be intrested in any suggestions for a sucky on the glass fish (one that doesn't poop like crazy) I would need to know if it should be kept alone or in groups and what other food it will need after eating algae in my tank.

This fish would need to get along with the following a Dwarf Gourami, Neon Tetra's, Cory's and Harlequin Rasbora.

I would like a larger (for 55 gallon) fish that wont eat my neons or cause trouble with my DG any suggestions? 
I would love to get an angel fish are there any kinds of angels that wont eat neons??????  .. 
Again will this fish need to be kept alone or in a group.

Thankyou for any suggestions
sucky on the glass fish ? A Pelco? there peaceful fish and wont eat the neons they eat algea waffers and sinking tablets. if this is the fish your talking about.

myfishskip

Reaction score
Yes maybe i'm thinking of a pleco any small ones? They have a large pleco at my little boys preschool and it's a huge 1 foot scary looking thing, I would like one maybe 3 inches or so.

Brut

Reaction score
in your 20 gallon tank the pelco will be limited to the space and therefore wont grow to the foot long one in your kids aquria, there are many types of pelcos i suggest you visit aquahobby or google different types of pelcos to find one that you like.

Brut

myfishskip

Reaction score
Ok i'll see if I can find some nice small ones, my tank is now 55 gallon the 20 gallon is up for sale and vacant..

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are Bristlenose Plecos but you would need more than one for a tank though. For a tank that size you could have almost any of the plecostomus and they would all be peaceable and none of them would bother your other fish. It would be more likely that the other fish would bother them. They would need caves to hide in and spend time in during the day as they come out during the night more.

Rose

myfishskip

Reaction score
Ok I looked the Bristlenose up, you think I would need two? Or would one be ok? I read they like wood to suck on so I will probably get a hidey holed piece of drift wood from my LFS and keep it in my tank for a while before I get the BN.
I have a big castle and plants and dark corners but no deep dark areas so I will invest in something that will be good for them to suck on and a place to hide. I'm still not 100 percent sure about the pleco's I find them a bit scarey but the BN actually looked quite cute in the pictures I saw so long as it doesn't get big I shouldnt' have nightmares.. lol

Any thoughts on a nice big fish like an Angel but one that wont eat my Neons?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
an angel might find your neons to be a tasty little midnight snack , you might have better luck with a gourami, not the dwarf ones, but the regular ones, they grow to be about 6" in length, or if you feel up to the challenge maybe a clown loach would be a nice addition to your tank

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry but just because the body of the pleco will be stunted doesn't mean it could stay in a tank that small. It could get quite large even in a 20 gallon, it wouldn't have room to turn around eventually. There's no scientific proof that the internal organs stop growing but is assumed they don't leading to premature death though it's not nice to keep a common pleco in small tanks, it's like living in your closet.

chickadee said:
There are Bristlenose Plecos but you would need more than one for a tank though. For a tank that size you could have almost any of the plecostomus and they would all be peaceable and none of them would bother your other fish. It would be more likely that the other fish would bother them. They would need caves to hide in and spend time in during the day as they come out during the night more.

Rose
Rose you don't need more BN plecos though you can have them, just one won't keep any algae problem under control if that's what you want, though with more plecos, more waste comes from them. And in a 55 you can't any pleco as many grow well over a foot and wouldn't have enough room to move and with the larger plecos you want bigger tanks so they aren't knocking down everything.

myfishskip said:
Ok I looked the Bristlenose up, you think I would need two? Or would one be ok? I read they like wood to suck on so I will probably get a hidey holed piece of drift wood from my LFS and keep it in my tank for a while before I get the BN.
I have a big castle and plants and dark corners but no deep dark areas so I will invest in something that will be good for them to suck on and a place to hide. I'm still not 100 percent sure about the pleco's I find them a bit scarey but the BN actually looked quite cute in the pictures I saw so long as it doesn't get big I shouldnt' have nightmares.. lol

Any thoughts on a nice big fish like an Angel but one that wont eat my Neons?
No you don't need two and as long as you don't have high lighting you shouldn't have too much of a green algae problem. Don't buy a pleco if you want it to solve all algae problems as certain types different fish eat, plecos usually eat green algae and some other types. Yes you need wood for them to eat and just a cave or two for them to call home would be good, nothing too big. My BN comes out a lot during the day and has his own cave and also hides on his driftwood where he feels secure. Here's what my cave looks like. Not good pic but you can see the cave and driftwood, will get better tomorrow for you.

atm

JMatt1983 said:
an angel might find your neons to be a tasty little midnight snack , you might have better luck with a gourami, not the dwarf ones, but the regular ones, they grow to be about 6" in length, or if you feel up to the challenge maybe a clown loach would be a nice addition to your tank
Possibly, better chance if you have a large school of neons full grown and introduce a single angel it probably won't eat them as long as you give an area it can establish a territory and the tetras to hide though wouldn't recommend it.

atm

p.s. will think of a fish for you

myfishskip

Reaction score
Thanks everyone  ;D
I bought a big piece of driftwood it has caves in the back and various hidey spots and holes. 
Although I boiled it and soaked it over night my tank is now a pretty dark burnt golden color it's pretty cool looking actually.
So in a couple of weeks I'll pick up one of the cute looking Bristenose I saw at my LFS when I was buying the wood

I'm definately going to get 6 more neons other than that we are still thinking...

I added a picture with the driftwood to the other two in the top post on this thread

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom