60 Gallon Tank Stocking suggestions...here we go again!

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I've asked for stocking suggestions so many times in the past for my planted 60 gallon(Fluval 240) - with a fluval 306 canister filter. I had a baby about 5 months ago, and unfortunately my fish tank suffered a little bit. I'm back on top of it now, and I'm starting to restock the tank, with my first step being to up my harlequin rasbora school from 11 to 20.

Stock at the moment is:

20 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Previously when I've asked for suggestions, options have been limited because I had neon tetras and a few other fish already, so I'd be interested to see what people would suggest now that it's a much more basic starting point.

I'm interested in getting corydoras catfish again (I previously had bronze and albino), but I haven't decided which variety yet. I also quite like livebearers, and would like to have a bit of a breeding group, but again, undecided which livebearer.

I'm planning on adding fish fairly slowly to build up the bacteria in the tank, and I need to sort out my plants as certain ones have overrun the tank a bit.

So what do you think? What would you add to the tank?

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
10 kulI loachs, 3 honey gourami, and up rasbora to 30 depending on the advice from aqadvisor about stocking.

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good shout on the KuhlI Loaches. I've considered them before but I always already had corydoras catfish, so didn't want to have both. Find them really interesting though. So they are definitely an option.

Thanks!

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oooo, I hadn't even considered that!

Could definitely look into that, with the bristlenose plec being the only exception.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The only thing out of place is bn but hey it will look good in there

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cuts out the livebearer option though, they're nearly all south america I think

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
True. And you don't have to do that. 10-15 cory. A couple pairs of live bearers your bn and rasbora. You could also substitute rainbow fish for live beaters. Spotted blue eye is a very colorful rainbow fish.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
If you decide to dump the bn pleco; there are more interesting pleco I think such as flash pleco; queen pleco; and out of this world (cost) zebra pleco.
-
KuhlI are nice as are gold zebra loaches; sterbaI cory, pygmy cory and if you ever go a bit colder panda cory.
-
For liver bearers there are swordtails (I've always liked the reds and greens but these days it hard to find either since the population is littered with all these weird new frankstein tweeks); mollies (I never liked mollies but I hear they are excellent algae eaters); paddies (swordtails without the swords) and everyones favorite guppies; get a pair of guppies and you're end up with 100s.
-
One thing I find amusing - guppy frys love the top and swordtails frys love the bottom (mine hide in the gravel)... ok these aren't really suggestions for your specific tank but just random fishes.
-
Btw my new favorite are white-fin rosy tetra - i'm finding the ones I have quite amusing (I have 6 with 5 little black angels).
-
I tend to favorite south america fishes with the exception of loaches - no loaches in south america; and my tanks gotta have loaches....

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those spotted blue eye rainbowfish are gorgeous!! But I'm not sure they'll fit in the tank with a school of harlequin rasbora as well. I think that would make it a bit busy.

Definitely one to consider next time I'm looking for a school though! So thanks for the suggestion

Not keen on "dumping" my bristlenose pleco

Think I'll take a look at which livebearers the LFS has and go from there, as I find it so hard to decide. At the moment I'm leading towards 4ish platies and maybe a single sailfin molly (bioload is too large for a group)

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you go with corys I like the false juliis, and they're easy to find (usually sold without the "false" part of the name). Have you considered tetras? Maybe schools of Congos, lemons, and serpaes?

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't really thought about another school, even though I had two before.

What about the following options:

20 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Bristlenose Pleco
4 livebearers (molly, platy or guppy) - 1m, 3f
10 Rummynose tetra (or similar)
15 KuhlI Loach or JuliI Corydoras
3 Nerite snails

Would that work?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bermese2002 said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't really thought about another school, even though I had two before.

What about the following options:

20 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Bristlenose Pleco
4 livebearers (molly, platy or guppy) - 1m, 3f
10 Rummynose tetra (or similar)
15 KuhlI Loach or JuliI Corydoras
3 Nerite snails

Would that work?
I don't see why not.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I think I would get fewer kuhlI or juliI - just too many fishes in a smallish tank. Also keep in mind that guppies are a lot smaller than mollies - you might also consider endlers if you want something smaller than guppies - also I would only get 2 females - if you have floating plants - you will have tons of frys in a month. I'm finding more than a few frys make it to adulthood - it takes a while - 5 or 6 months but you will have more than you know what to do with after a period of time. In my 120 (in which I removed my guppies 3 months ago) I'm still finding frys that have evaded the clown loaches and angle fishes - in my guppy tank (which has guppies and swordtails) I must have 20 or 30 frys of various ages (2 weeks to 4 months). Mind you swordtail frys are more interesting than guppy frys...
-
When I was in college I setup a 20L for my gf and in 1 year we went from two swordtails to 30+ swordtails. At first she would capture them and put them in a fry net (you know - not wanting the parents to eat them) but after a while they became so prolific .....
--
Just remember guppies like floating plants for hiding; swordtails love bigger gravel for hiding (I use eco-complete and that was large enough for them to burrow between the stones for hiding).

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
jake37 said:
I think I would get fewer kuhlI or juliI - just too many fishes in a smallish tank. Also keep in mind that guppies are a lot smaller than mollies - you might also consider endlers if you want something smaller than guppies - also I would only get 2 females - if you have floating plants - you will have tons of frys in a month. I'm finding more than a few frys make it to adulthood - it takes a while - 5 or 6 months but you will have more than you know what to do with after a period of time. In my 120 (in which I removed my guppies 3 months ago) I'm still finding frys that have evaded the clown loaches and angle fishes - in my guppy tank (which has guppies and swordtails) I must have 20 or 30 frys of various ages (2 weeks to 4 months). Mind you swordtail frys are more interesting than guppy frys...
-
When I was in college I setup a 20L for my gf and in 1 year we went from two swordtails to 30+ swordtails. At first she would capture them and put them in a fry net (you know - not wanting the parents to eat them) but after a while they became so prolific .....
--
Just remember guppies like floating plants for hiding; swordtails love bigger gravel for hiding (I use eco-complete and that was large enough for them to burrow between the stones for hiding).
I disagree with lowering the numbers, at least for kuhlI loaches (don't have cories so I can't comment on them). KuhlI loaches have a small bioload and do best in larger numbers. 15 in a 60 gallon is really not a lot. I've got 10 java loaches in a 40B and will be adding more soon.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I have 10 kuhlI in my 120 and 6 sterbaI cory - but I also have clown loaches, zebra loaches and gold zebra loaches (the gold were a late addition and they are teaching the other loaches how to eat flakes). Anyway I just don' tthink a 60 gallon tank is that large and you have a lot of fishes planned for the tank - so if not the kuhlI then I would reduce something other count. Also you might give things a bit of time between purchases and see how the chemistry (nitrate) changes.

AngryRainbow said:
I disagree with lowering the numbers, at least for kuhlI loaches (don't have cories so I can't comment on them). KuhlI loaches have a small bioload and do best in larger numbers. 15 in a 60 gallon is really not a lot. I've got 10 java loaches in a 40B and will be adding more soon.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
jake37 said:
I have 10 kuhlI in my 120 and 6 sterbaI cory - but I also have clown loaches, zebra loaches and gold zebra loaches (the gold were a late addition and they are teaching the other loaches how to eat flakes). Anyway I just don' tthink a 60 gallon tank is that large and you have a lot of fishes planned for the tank - so if not the kuhlI then I would reduce something other count. Also you might give things a bit of time between purchases and see how the chemistry (nitrate) changes.
I would look to cut fish from the middle then. OP, I think your listed stock *could* work, but you are middle heavy. Both rasboras and tetras and possibly livebarers depending on what you pick will spend most of its time occupying the middle space of your tank and that may look crowded

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kuhlis are the coolest fish I have ever kept! They are ridiculous. My kids call them "silly noodles" because of their pranks. They'll climb up a rock and slide down upside down or hang limp over a branch for a few minutes before whooshing away. I have 10 in my 30 gallon and they are very happy- I almost never see less than 5 scrounging around at any given time, even in the middle of the day! Highly recommend!
20191106_195138.jpg

OP
bermese2002

bermese2002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I take your point on the number of fish in the middle. I might just stick to the harlequin rasbora and kuhlis, and not add the other school of Tetra

Is there a good fish for the top to help balance out the tank?

Love your tank Otocinclus13 what are your tetras?

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bermese2002 said:
Love your tank Otocinclus13 what are your tetras?
Thanks! They're silvertip tetras. I love the little buggers, but I'm currently in the process of rehoming them. The tank is in the center of a "great room" style space, and the silvertips are small enough that its hard to see them from across the house. I'm looking into larger-bodied fish so I can enjoy the tank from anywhere. ;)

New Threads