Stocking Suggestions For A 20 Gal Long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pixelhoot, Apr 16, 2017.

1. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

Hello! I was hoping to get some suggestions as I'd like a bright but peaceful center fish for my 20 gal long (As well as some small tetras if possible). My tank looks pretty empty right now in mid and upper regions!

Here are the current fish in the tank. Cory cats are not subject to change.

x10 Guppies
    x3 Agassiz's Corydoras
    x10 Bladder Snails

I have a Top Fin Power Filter 20 and have 4 plants in the aquarium as well as other hidey spots for the Cory Cats. Any help is appreciated!

2. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Cories should be at least 6 for their peace of mind. Otherwise they'll be stressed and have shorter lives.

Other than that I'd say you're fully stocked but someone else would have to confirm that.

3. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Make the stocking list like this-
    1 Honey Gourami
    4 male Guppy
    6 corys
    6 Rummy Nose Tetra
    5 Bladder Snails.

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I used to have 6 male guppies, a honey gourami, and my beloved school of Colombian Tetras. Overstocked? Definitely. But it worked for a while. If you want a centerpiece, I'd suggest either a honey gourami, german or bolivian rams, or maybe even a pair of friendlier apistos. Lots of options for tetras as well.

5. OP
    OP
    pixelhoot

Hello all! Sorry for the delayed reply. My computer crashed and stopped working! I had to take it to a friend's and he found it was a graphics driver error (whoops!). All better now.

This aside, I'll address these in order
    When I first got the Cory Cats, I did some research beforehand and saw that they do their best in schools, but would be okay in a small group. They haven't shown any signs of stress currently and love playing together after dark. I am planning on getting more Cories, though! They are super cute and I'd love to see them school. :>
    Would a couple of changes to the list be okay? Such as a Dwarf Gourami or Neon Tetras? I don't think they sell Honeys or Rummy Noses at the LFS :s
    Hahahaha I feel you. Used to have waaay too many guppies cause they bred so much and was constantly giving them away! I think I'm gonna hold back on getting a Cichlid until I know more about aquariums and feel confident enough. Thank you for the suggestion, though! I'll keep it in mind in the future. Such beautiful fish!

6. MattS99

I've only ever had bad experiences with DGs. And there are lots of smaller cichlids that are easy to care for and non-agressive. You'd just only get one, not a pair.

7. OP
    OP
    pixelhoot

Oh okay! I might consider it then. I'm really cautious about keeping more aggressive species in general. I really hope I can find some at my LFS. If not, do you know of any companies that can ship their fish to me in a humane way?

8. MattS99

I'm not into ordering my fish online, but I'm sure LiveAquaria is pretty good. I'm getting a single Bolivian Ram for my 20 either tomorrow or Saturday. It'll be my first cichlid, pretty pumped. I mean if you can keep it with a guppy, I'd say it's not too aggressive. Most of the dwarf or ram cichlids can be good community fish if kept alone, their agression only really comes from breeding. That's why they'll all be labelled as 'semi-aggressive'.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I think you can add a bolivian ram and 5 more cories for the bottom.

10. B

Buddah New Member Member

Another centerpiece option would be angelfish if you are interested in that . Yet the tank size is their minimum so that could be overstocking.

11. OP
    OP
    pixelhoot

Yeah I actually noted a lot of the center fish listed have a base space of 20+ gal, but Bolivian Rams and Gouramis seem to be the most promising. :>

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Angelfish need a 29g minimum, a 20 is not tall enough for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice