Stocking suggestions for a 100Gallon tank

1. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Hello all,

I will be getting my 100 Gallon tank (25.5 H x 20 w x 48L) on April 14. From what I was told, it is a custom made tank. I currently have a 55 gallon tank and will transfering all its residents into the 100 Gallon tank (11 Black Khuli Loaches, 15 Cardinals, 6 Red eye Tetras, 7 otos).

It will also be a dirted planted tank with driftwood. If that helps.

The thing is, I do not want it overstock, i want the fish to be comfortable in their new home.

I was thinking Discus or Angelfish, but if they arent compatible with the current residents then i am not interested. I also do not want live bearers. I was thinking maybe a German Blue Ram....

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You could certainly do several Rams. They're pretty small, so you could still do your Angels AND Discus, too :) I'm not sure on numbers of either, though, so I couldn't help you with that.

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen rams and discus together, but I'm not sure about your current tank inhabitants. Discus need warmer water than most fish, so they are often in species-only tanks. But there are quite a few discus experts floating around, so hopefully one can provide more information :)

4. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Discus are pretty tricky from what I've heard. They need optimal water quality, and are still pretty delicate. I've had rams and angels together without problems. You should get rams- they're gorgeous and have great personalities. Angels are impressive too. But of course, nothing can compete with discus.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

I would add some panda catfish, or julii leapord catfish. You may also need some shrimp. I would than get some dicus's, ram's, and angelfish. Best of luck. Or you could turn this into a saltwater tank.

6. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Discus, Angelfish and rams are compatible?

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure :) They're all the the more peaceful Cichlids, and come from South America. They are housed together quite commonly, actually.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have Angelfish and RAMs and they do beautifully... I have not tried the discus though.

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Why would the OP need shrimp?

Yes you could, but the OP has indicated that it is to replace the existing 55.

It does raise a question though - Is this custom built tank drilled for bulkheads? i.e. was it originally built as a SW tank?

I'd look at Rams (always wanted them but my tank is too small) and Angels, you could also consider Apistogrammas - They stay quite small, and did well in my little 16G with tetras.

Discus would be amazing in a 100 - but I'd have to research them again from a parameter perspective, temperament they should be quite peaceful in a community tank.

10. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

The 100 Gallon tank will be replacing the 55 Gallon tank. I will be getting rid of the 55 Gallon tank (selling it).

It was custom built in terms of the dimensions. There are no drilled holes. It was used a freshwater tank.

Wow..Apistogrammas do look pretty. Rams do look beautiful, can I just get one Ram? or do they companionship?

I'm at odds on how to stock this tank.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You could get just one Ram,but you'll see amazing colors with two or more, same with Apisto's.

12. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

+1 - If you're lucky, given the right parameters, they have been known to breed readily ;)

13. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Can I get one Golden RAM and one German Blue Ram?

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure you could :)

15. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

This is what I am thinking of stocking with (not set in stone) 100 Gallon tank (25.5 H x 20 w x 48L)

-20 Cardinals (current residents of 55 Gallon + 5 new ones)
    -6 Red Eyes (current residents of 55 Gallon)
    -2 GBR
    -12 Khuli Loach (current residents of 55 Gallon)
    -10 Otos (current residents of 55 Gallon + 3 new ones)
    -5 Discus

Plants:
    Moss Tree (Currently have)
    Marimo Moss Balls 5x (Currently have)
    Java Fern (Currently have)
    Vals (Currently have)
    Anubias (Currently have)
    Hornwort (Currently have)
    Dwarf Hairgrass ( ordered)
    Amazon Swords (ordered)
    2 Large driftwood

Plus it is going to be a dirted tank (organic miracle grow) w/light layer of black sand

What do you think? I probably wont get Discus until the summer (gotta save up the money to buy them)