Stocking suggestions for a 100Gallon tank

1. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +529
    Hello all,

I will be getting my 100 Gallon tank (25.5 H x 20 w x 48L) on April 14. From what I was told, it is a custom made tank. I currently have a 55 gallon tank and will transfering all its residents into the 100 Gallon tank (11 Black Khuli Loaches, 15 Cardinals, 6 Red eye Tetras, 7 otos).

It will also be a dirted planted tank with driftwood. If that helps.

The thing is, I do not want it overstock, i want the fish to be comfortable in their new home.

I was thinking Discus or Angelfish, but if they arent compatible with the current residents then i am not interested. I also do not want live bearers. I was thinking maybe a German Blue Ram....

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +108
    You could certainly do several Rams. They're pretty small, so you could still do your Angels AND Discus, too :) I'm not sure on numbers of either, though, so I couldn't help you with that.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +120
    I've seen rams and discus together, but I'm not sure about your current tank inhabitants. Discus need warmer water than most fish, so they are often in species-only tanks. But there are quite a few discus experts floating around, so hopefully one can provide more information :)

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Discus are pretty tricky from what I've heard. They need optimal water quality, and are still pretty delicate. I've had rams and angels together without problems. You should get rams- they're gorgeous and have great personalities. Angels are impressive too. But of course, nothing can compete with discus.

5. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I would add some panda catfish, or julii leapord catfish. You may also need some shrimp. I would than get some dicus's, ram's, and angelfish. Best of luck. Or you could turn this into a saltwater tank.

6. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +529
    Discus, Angelfish and rams are compatible?

7. Akari_32

Ratings:
    +108
    Sure :) They're all the the more peaceful Cichlids, and come from South America. They are housed together quite commonly, actually.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have Angelfish and RAMs and they do beautifully... I have not tried the discus though.

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Why would the OP need shrimp?

Yes you could, but the OP has indicated that it is to replace the existing 55.

It does raise a question though - Is this custom built tank drilled for bulkheads? i.e. was it originally built as a SW tank?

I'd look at Rams (always wanted them but my tank is too small) and Angels, you could also consider Apistogrammas - They stay quite small, and did well in my little 16G with tetras.

Discus would be amazing in a 100 - but I'd have to research them again from a parameter perspective, temperament they should be quite peaceful in a community tank.

10. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +529
    The 100 Gallon tank will be replacing the 55 Gallon tank. I will be getting rid of the 55 Gallon tank (selling it).

It was custom built in terms of the dimensions. There are no drilled holes. It was used a freshwater tank.

Wow..Apistogrammas do look pretty. Rams do look beautiful, can I just get one Ram? or do they companionship?

I'm at odds on how to stock this tank.

11. Akari_32

Ratings:
    +108
    You could get just one Ram,but you'll see amazing colors with two or more, same with Apisto's.

12. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +315
    +1 - If you're lucky, given the right parameters, they have been known to breed readily ;)

13. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +529
    Can I get one Golden RAM and one German Blue Ram?

14. Akari_32

Ratings:
    +108
    Sure you could :)

15. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

Ratings:
    +529
    This is what I am thinking of stocking with (not set in stone) 100 Gallon tank (25.5 H x 20 w x 48L)

-20 Cardinals (current residents of 55 Gallon + 5 new ones)
    -6 Red Eyes (current residents of 55 Gallon)
    -2 GBR
    -12 Khuli Loach (current residents of 55 Gallon)
    -10 Otos (current residents of 55 Gallon + 3 new ones)
    -5 Discus

Plants:
    Moss Tree (Currently have)
    Marimo Moss Balls 5x (Currently have)
    Java Fern (Currently have)
    Vals (Currently have)
    Anubias (Currently have)
    Hornwort (Currently have)
    Dwarf Hairgrass ( ordered)
    Amazon Swords (ordered)
    2 Large driftwood

Plus it is going to be a dirted tank (organic miracle grow) w/light layer of black sand

What do you think? I probably wont get Discus until the summer (gotta save up the money to buy them)