Stocking Suggestions For 30 Gallon?

1. Josh05W

Josh05W New Member Member

Hi, I'm new at this forum thing so sorry if this isn't posted on the right category I'm learning. Ok so I have had a 30 gallon tank for about a year and a half now, and it has been a rollercoaster, and mostly because I used to be a slacker and I never did water changes and new nothing of the nitrogen cycle. I shouldn't have had an aquarium that size but I've learned now. Weekly water changes and tests are being done, plants are growing, and cycle is now about midway. I am now starting to consider what to stock it with to prevent overstocking. I am also planning on getting a marineland emperor 400 to replace my aqueon quietflow 20. Of course I will have to re cycle the tank again, but it is worth it. Ok sorry I typed too much. So what would be a good species of fish for a community tank?

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

One of my favorites is the corydoras catfish. They are friendly bottom feeders who will help keep your substrate clean. I would also reccomend any kind of tetra, they are easy to keep and school in large packs.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

If you go ahead and start the new filter while the current one is running, you can seed the new filter at the same time. As far as stocking the tank. Find a particular fish that you like and select tank mates that come from the same part of the world so the tank conditions will be good for all the fish. For instance, cory catfish and neon tetras both come from tributaries of the Amazon river. Walk through and pick something you really like and do some Google research about the fish's living conditions, how big they get, whether they're aggressive to tank mates, and what other fish come from the same region.