Stocking Suggestions For 225 Gallon Cold Water Tank? (fw)

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm getting ready to set up my 225-gallon tank and am looking for cold water stocking suggestions once the tank is cycled.

Details:
- Internal tank measurements = 72 1/8 x 23 x 27 1/4 (width/depth/height to the overflow openings). Deduct swimming space from two 8x6" built in corner overflow weirs
- Estimated actual volume of water (after substrate/rock) is around 180-190 gallons
- Filtration: Fluval FX6 and Fluval FX4 stocked with Poret foam plumbed into the overflow weirs. + Poret foam prefilter sponges
- Substrate: pool filter sand, ~1" deep (can do more or less)
- Decor: Variety of smooth beach rocks (after they have been acid tested and sanitized) and non-rooting live plants that can be glued onto rocks (e.g. anubias)
- I'm a little concerned about ambient room temperature in the summer. I live in coastal Southern California where we do not have AC. It gets to be about 85-87F inside in the daytime (cools at night to about 75-80) during the peak weeks of summer. Not ideal for cold water fish, but given the size of the tank I imagine these temperature changes would occur very gradually? The canopy is equipped with two CPU fans that could probably help as well.

I definitely want at least 4-5 fancy goldfish, possibly more. I'm also interested in:
- Dojo loaches
- White clouds or bloodfin tetras
- Mystery snails (would dojo loaches eat them?)

I'm not particularly interested in golden or rosy barbs since they are pretty similar in color and shape to goldfish.

How many of each would you stock? What other options are there that I might not have considered?

With a tank this big, I feel like there are so many options!
anigif_sub-buzz-535-1476739983-2.gif

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dojo loaches are thriving in the 65 - 75 F temperature range so doesn't seem a good choice for your setup although they will survive but the same could be said for the fancy goldfish.... Despite that I see them in tanks here in Thailand all the time and we hardly get below 85F for longer periods. The live on but are not really suited for it.

I would look for some fish that suits your temperature range instead.

Katestanks02

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are those temperatures mainly just for summer? People keep goldfish outside and they can tolerate fluctuating temps. I know when treating for ich people will crank the temps up on goldfish really high like above 87. I personally don’t have any experience keeping them in that range so I can’t really say. Usually with goldfish it’s best to keep it a species only tank just because fancies aren’t the best swimmers and it’s better not to have them be outcompeted by faster moving fish. However, I have seen people keep them dojo loaches successfully. Me personally would just rather have more fancies than anything else in the tank. They offer enough entertainment on their own.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
goldfish aren't cold water fish, they are temperate. many fancy goldfish are bred and raised in outdoor ponds in full sun in tropical areas.

with such a large volume of water, the water won't get as hot as the air temp. my 150g outdoor stock tank is usually a few degrees lower than the air temp during the hottest part of the day.

Goldfish Care Sheet

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For fancy goldfish and dojos I recomend a heater to keep the temp at 70 degrees 24-7 They really dont tolerate water changes as well as common goldfish, shubunkins or koi. your tank is huge, but those guys are still going to outgrow it.

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank is finished cycling and I've got my first additions: 4 golden dojo loaches.

IMG_20190922_180525.jpg
IMG_20190922_185042.jpg

Arriving Tuesday (1 of each):
- Calico ryukin
- Tricolor ryukin
- Blue oranda
- Black and red oranda
- Panda oranda

I'm looking for a fun pleco to keep my grape wood in check. A golden nugget would be awesome, but haven't been able to find any in stock anywhere for under $90. Clown or leopard would be cool, too. If not, a rubber lip would do as well I think.

Excited for Tuesday!

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pleco are tropical fish and should not really be in a tank with goldfish , as pleco often eventually start sucking the slime coat off of the sides of the goldfish.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could do a Rubberlip. Just make sure it's getting enough, or feed its own food.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 72.4%

Top Bottom