Stocking Suggestions - 65 Gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wendy12, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Wendy12

Wendy12New MemberMember

I am new to the hobby, Fishlore and this is my first post. I've learned a ton by reading the forums here, so thank you in advance for the wealth of information this site provides. I've made it through a fishless cycle and initial stocking just by reading the information on here so far.

I have a young, 3 month old, 65 gallon community tank. Water parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, pH 8.0, temp 79. I have an AquaClear 70 and Hydor 350 canister filter. I also have a 10 gal quarantine tank.

Current stock includes:
    5 Sterbai Cory
    7 Black Neon Tetra
    2 Dwarf Gourami
    1 RTS

My family pressured me into the RTS, but so far so good. RTS is getting along with everyone. One of the Gourami tends to bully the other so I may run into a problem there. The dominant Gourami comes to the front of the tank whenever I walk up and is very friendly. The tetras swim around together unless I walk up to the tank and then they tend to school near the top. The cories are adorable and race around together. I have a fair amount of decor with lots of hiding places (see attached pic).

I probably need to add 1-2 more cories and would like another school and maybe something more colorful as a centerpiece. I love the look of Bosemani Rainbows and would eventually like to add a BN pleco once the tank is more mature.

What other stocking suggestions would you have?

Attached Files:

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Have you put the fish in there yet or are they still in the quarantine tank? I'd try to get the pH down. My pH was high for quite some time and the fish kept dying. I put in a piece of driftwood and the pH came down. Also changing the prime helped. It's now at 7.6, my other tank has a large hunk of driftwood and it's at 6.6. There aren't many fish that can handle an 8.0 pH AND are friendly towards each other. My suggestion is to bring the pH down and then add the fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Wendy12

Wendy12New MemberMember

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a lot on pH and tried some products to bring it down before I added fish. Then, I started reading more opinions that stable pH was more important than trying to mess with what comes out of my tap. The stock I have in there now have been in there between 1-2 months. I added the 5 cories most recently, about 3 weeks ago.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

You may need to rehome 1 DG. You probably have 2 males.
    A clown pleco would be more temperature compatible than a bristle nose.

Your Ph is fine. Trying to change it causes more harm than good.

5. OP
    OP
    Wendy12

Wendy12New MemberMember

Thanks for the clown pleco suggestion!

I made the mistake of following the suggestion of the owner at a local fish store when he sold me the 2 DGs. Initially they were ok together, but now that the one stays in hiding, I started reading more and realized I should only have 1 in there.

6. OP
    OP
    Wendy12

Wendy12New MemberMember

Should I increase the number of cories or tetras? Any other suggestions?

7. BottomDweller

Yeah the tetras and cories would be happier in bigger groups.

You could possible add a german blue ram or two

8. OP
    OP
    Wendy12

Wendy12New MemberMember

I love the look of the German Blue Rams. I've read they shouldn't be added until the tank is more mature, ~6 months. True?

9. BottomDweller

I'd probably add them last just so the tank is stable. They are not as delicate as some people make them out to be. As long as the tank is stable, cycled and parameters are good they should be fine.

10. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraeiValued MemberMember

I second the GBRs. I love mine! I added them after the tank had been running for about three months and they are doing very well. Definitely my favorite fish!

11. MTSRandy

MTSRandyValued MemberMember

I recently purchased my 1st GBR 2 weeks ago. It currently resides in my heavily planted quarantine tank which is only 10 gallons but is loving it! I can't wait for another week or so to pass so I can add him to his permanent home. Ill definitely be in the market for a 2nd one. They have such cool personalities. They would be a great addition to a community tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice