Stocking suggestion for a 50 gallon

Nikn

I have a planted 50 gallon tank. It well established for more than a year now. I currently have 2 angelfish and a blue gourami. I would like to add more fish so any suggestion would be appreciated.

Here are some of my ideas
2/3-Bristlenose plecos
A pair or trio of appistogramma
A school of bigger tertas- rummynose, columbian
A school of hatchet fish
Danios?

Ouse

2/3-Bristlenose plecos
The maximum for this tank size is two. You’ll need to provide them with their own places to hide and be away from each other.
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Apistos need lots of twigs, rocks and wood in the lower section of the water column so they can make territories, otherwise multiple won’t coexist. They can’t be allowed to see each other from different ends of the tank.

As plecos can stress dwarf cichlids out, you’ll have to choose between plecos or apistogrammas. Having both in the same tank results in problems between the plecos and apistos.
A school of bigger tertas- rummynose, columbian
A school of hatchet fish
Danios?
Tetras and danios roam the middle of the water column, while hatchetfish roam near the water surface.

Deeper-bodied tetras would fare better against the angelfish, although any middle/top swimmer won’t be bothered by plecos or apistos.

Preferably choose one species of middle-swimming schooler and one species of top-swimming schooler.

Nikn

The maximum for this tank size is two. You’ll need to provide them with their own places to hide and be away from each other.
I have kept as many as 4 in the tank without any issues. I provided a lot of driftwood, rooks, plants and caves. But I will go with only two this time.

As plecos can stress dwarf cichlids out, you’ll have to choose between plecos or apistogrammas. Having both in the same tank results in problems between the plecos and apistos.
I have kept pleocs and appisots together before and never saw too much aggression or any injuries on any of the fish

Apistos need lots of twigs, rocks and wood in the lower section of the water column so they can make territories, ot
I have 3 caves and plenty of plants. I'm planning to keep one male and 1or two females.

I would get a bigger species of tertas so that they would be eaten and act as a dither fish. I will probably with midwater swimmers just to be safe.
What are the dimensions of the tank?
The dimensions of the tank are:
Width: 40cm
Length:100cm
Hight: 58cm

Ouse

With a footprint of 100cm X 40cm, I would go with up to two apistos. They don’t need caves; they need to not be able to see each other while patrolling their territory.

Nikn

Do both the males and the females have a territory? I thought it was only the males.

Ouse

Do both the males and the females have a territory? I thought it was only the males.
Males will make a territory with a two foot wide diameter, whilst females make a territory only half of that in size.

Nikn

Oh wow, I didn't know they have such a big territory. I will only get a pair then.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nikn
Replies
Views
EnderKing
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views