55 Gallon Tank stocking soon, and the list...

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would get 2 parrots. The DG might get aggressive with the others but will probably be fine. For tetras I like the lemon and rummy-nose tetra I also really like the harlequin rasbora.

The parrots like caves, such as terra cotta pots and you should have live or fake plants. Add the blood parrot last.

Good luck

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have 2 terra cota pots, and you think 2 blood parrots would fit with 2 angelfish, and why do you say add the blood parrot last?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That list would be pretty overstocked in a 55gal IMO. Parrots do prefer to have the company of thier own kind so if you want a Parrot have two. The trouble with that is 55gal is only big enough for two Parrots with no tankmates.

Personally I would stick with the two Angels, the DG (watch for nipping of Angels fins) & two schools of a Tetra type species.I also really like Rummynoses & Lemon Tetras but there are many others that you could have such as Cardinal, Bloodfin, Silver-Tip or Emperor Tetras, Cherry Barbs, Zebra or Pearl Danios or Harlequin Rasboras.

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if i dont get a blood parrot, could i do 4 angel fish, a DG, and a 1 school?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Possibly but you are likely to have issues with territory & breeding when the Angels get bigger. Best sticking to one pair of them. Perhaps something like this would be appealing:

2 x Angles
2 x German Blue Ram OR Apisto (not both unless you only have one of each)
10 x Rummynose Tetra
10 x Harlequin Rasbora
1 x Pretty Pleco (Peckoltia Pulcher)
That would require fairly good filtration but would be quite manageable in 55gal. The Tetras & Rasboras are of course interchangable with what ever similar sized community species (non-nippy) you prefer.

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
and with the list, ive never been able to find Blue Rams around here... how would:
2 angelfish, 1 blue/peral gourami, and 2-3 schools of tetras?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That should work ok so long as you watch for fin nipping from the Gourami on the Angels. Pearls are pretty peacefull so that shouldn't be a problem if you chose to go that way. You could have Bolivian Rams, any Apisto species or Kribensis in place of the GBR's if you can get them in your area.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would go with the pearl as they are a lot more peaceful and they like the company so 1 male and 2 females would work well. instead of 1 of the schools of tetras you might consider corries, loaches or a small pleco, this will help spread the fish out from being in the same general area of the tank. I would just get two school of fish especially if you get 3 pearls.
so maybe something like this:
2 x Angles
3 x Pearls 1m:2f (or a male and female of the dwarf cichlids Nutter listed)
10 x Tetras
6 or so corries,OR small loaches like skunk or zebra loaches, OR 1 small pleco, OR 8-10 of another tetra type

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like that idea to Danny. Cories are always entertaining & would fill the bottom section of the tank nicely.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom