55 Gallon Tank Stocking/schooling questions/concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok i currently have 3Khulli loaches about 2iches each, 5prestilla tetras about 1.5inch each, 6neon tetras about 1inch each, 1black redfined shark about 2.5inches, and 1clown pleco about 3inches. i have a 55g hexagon tank about 80 degrees F. its about 3.5feet tall and 2.5feet wide/diameter (depending on how you look at it). tanks been set up for around 2months. my question is what else can i add for a top/middle either schooling or "bigger" fish (under 5inches) so my tank doesnt seem so empy? my concern i have is that everything ive read says that khulli loaches like to "school" or at least stick together kinda as a family...my loaches dont go near eachother (i had one and i added 2 yesterday) all of my fish (excluding my clown pleco) have come from the same petstore and all of the same type of fish came from thier respective tanks. also most comments ive heard about the loaches say that they see thier loaches commonly...i very rarely see mine. any thoughts? any help is welcomed

also is that going to be too many "bottom dwellers" in a 55 hex? the floor area seems so much smaller than a long tank.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No love?

ok so i was really hoping to get some speedy responses on my latest post. since my first was almost instant...and ive noticed that my post is the only one in this thread without any replies...wuts with that? im feeling a little irritated i guess...i see the same question asked and answered the same way 8times on the same page and each one has like 10replies....whilst i sit and wait for a reply (after doing some research on the site first) and not get one? are my posts in this thread jus not being seen? is it some sort of lag? or am i just being ignored someway that doesnt make sense to just me? i guess by now you can tell im a little irritated (mainly cause its hot here and i cant sleep) but getting no replies on a legit question put me over the edge

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Hang in there. Sometimes it may take a while to get a response. We try not to let questions go unanswered but sometimes it happens.

I have merged your two threads together so you don't have to type the questions again and people can find it.

As a new member be sure to read over the Fish Lore Rules

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First....just curious, did you mean redline shark? Or redtail? I have read Kuhli's should be 5 or more(unsure personally). You could probably add more neons if you wanna fill the middle, unless you meant red tail shark if it is he might go for the neons(had any problem with that yet?).

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi lovefishes, a Gourami would make a great 'show' fish, that would stay near the top/middle of the tank most of the time. There are loads of different varieties, my personal favorite is the Pearl Gourami.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like gouramis as well but wasn't sure how they would fare in a Hex with a shark. I also have a pearl and it's a great looking fish.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok so i was really hoping to get some speedy responses on my latest post. since my first was almost instant...and ive noticed that my post is the only one in this thread without any replies...wuts with that? im feeling a little irritated i guess...i see the same question asked and answered the same way 8times on the same page and each one has like 10replies....whilst i sit and wait for a reply (after doing some research on the site first) and not get one? are my posts in this thread jus not being seen? is it some sort of lag? or am i just being ignored someway that doesnt make sense to just me? i guess by now you can tell im a little irritated (mainly cause its hot here and i cant sleep) but getting no replies on a legit question put me over the edge
Hmmmmmm, it's a holiday weekend. Many people have gone away. Perhaps the people responding to the other threads don't believe they can help you with your particular questions. Methinks you might want to work on your patience level.

I can help with the loaches. Yes, they prefer to be in numbers. The fact that you only added 2 more to the mix yesterday, I'm not surprised they're not best friends yet. Give it time. It took mine days before they came out of hiding.

I also do believe that you're all set with bottom dwellers, and I wouldn't add anymore.

No matter what, you don't want to add more fish right away anyway. Always add fish on a gradual basis to keep the balance of the tank going.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I meant red tailed shark. and nope he's actually very chill. he doesnt bother anyone...kinda jus ignores everyone else in the tank lol. also another question i had was about my powerheads/undergravel filter...should i be using the 2powerheads and my undergravel filter with such small fish? like i stated in my profile info i have 90% oscar expeirence and almost none with smaller/schooling type fish. my shark LOVES my powerheads but everything else kida seems to stay away not so much as if to say they were afraid but rather they dont like to work that hard lol. so anyone know/have any ideas on my loaches? they are my favorite fish in the tank and i never see them

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello

I would consider getting my own test kit prior to adding more fish. The API (liquid) Master Test Kit is most widely recommended. You really need to know your tank water parameters in case issues come up and not have to rely on your friend to test the tank for you.

With your loaches, Pleco and Rainbow Shark I would say you're stocked as far as the bottom dwellers go. Make sure you have some hiding spots for your Rainbow (red finned) Shark. They can be quiet aggressive as they mature.

I'll let others give you suggestions on other tank mates.

Ken

The Red Finned Shark and the Rainbow Shark are the same fish. I've heard them called by both names. Then there is the Red Tailed Shark. All are pretty much in the same family (as I'm sure you know) with the same demeanor.

Thanks for clarifying that for us Lovesfishes
Ken

Last edited:

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
THANKS on all the info!! sry i was a little impatient im like i said its been very hot and i cant sleep he he. i really appreciate all the help. and im a young male adult patience is hard to find sometimes lol jk. if i were to get a gourami would just one be ok or do i need a pair for it to not feel "alone"?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rainbow sharks are also called Ruby sharks. Which is why mine is named Ruby.... even though it's a he and not a she.... makes me think of Johnny Cash's song "A Boy Named Sue".....

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My opinion and from information I've seen, it's recommended that only 1 Gourami per tank. You may be ok with 1 male and 1 female but this doesn't always work out either.

There is a smaller Gourami, The Sparkling Gourami that you could house two or three.

Ken

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my good friend/old neighbor usually takes care of water changes and testing but i will be gettin a test kit shortly and learning more on how to do all that type of work from her and this site im sure i added the new fish about a week and a half after give or take a day or two.

my friend has been doing tests like every other day now since i started this tank, its fairly new so im guessing thats the reason for the increase in testing =D

Last edited:

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd just go for one Gourami if you decide to get one, as they can be territorial.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes gourami tend to be aggressive to other gourami(I found this out the hard way), but seem to do great solo.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a horrible experience with gouramis. One kept killing the others. Then when he was done with his own species, he started going after others. I'll never have them again. But they do seem to work well for other people. Just not me.

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok so i think thats everyone now that has suggested gourami lol so now i think its time to research them =D

i guess all but one

ok well im not sure the sparkly gourami's are such a great idea cause it says they are quite shy and skiddish...my tank is in the living room so it sees a decent (not really too much) amount of traffic by it everyday. i was however kinda smitten with the different colors of dwarf gourami's and thought that gettin 1 or 2...can i keep multiples of the dwarfs or will i still run into aggression issues?

I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

lol thanks for the link for gourami's! and srry about my posting back to back like that ...im new to Civilized threads...(im a gamer so i post on all kinds of video game sites which are a whole diff ballgame lol). good to know dwarfs arnt good together :-[

Last edited:

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dwarfs are definatly best kept alone as they are very aggressive towards each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom