Stocking Recommendations

1. S

Sitting In Class New Member Member

Hey there, I'm new to the hobby with a couple of weeks of experience.

I have a Fx6, Natgeo sand, and 2 rocks in the tank. I'm doing a fishless cycle.

Here's my stocking list so far:

2 German Blue Rams
    4 Pearl Gouramis
    3 Kuhli Loach

I wanted recommendations on what other I can stock my tank with.

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

You are really understocked. But I wouldn't do 4 Pearls because they could become aggressive towards each other.
    I would do:
    2 GBRs
    1 Pearl Gourami, or a school of Chocolate Gouramis
    20 Kuhli Loaches
    2 Angelfish (1 male 1 female)
    25 Cardinal Tetras
    another large school of Tetras or Rasboras

3. OP
    OP
    S

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. I also forgot to note that I planned on adding a Leopard Pleco as well. I also read that 1 male pearl and 2 female pearls would be okay, what do you think?

4. goplecos

A Leopard Pleco would be fine. If you get 1 male and 2 female Pearl Gouramis 2 of them will pair up and bully the other female, and if you get a pair they will try and breed and become aggressive towards the other fish in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Oh, I understand now, thank you for the info. I'll keep a look out for those fish you mentioned when I go to my LFS this Friday.

6. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about
    4 GBRs(1 Male 3 Females)
    16 Bronze Cories or 30 Kuhli Loaches
    6 Croaking Gourami(1 Male 5 Females) or 6 Honey Gourami(1 Male 5 Females)
    25 Cardinal Tetras
    25 Rummynose Tetras
    1 Leopard Pleco
    Temp.-78'F

7. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the reply.
    I've never heard of the croaking gourami but now that I have I think I'm in love. They look beautiful!
    Right now, I have a pair of GBRs in quarantine so I'll try to find 2 more females and the cardinals seem great.

8. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Good Luck!

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You can easily do 6-8 pearl gouramis in this size tank with the stock goplecos mentions.

Pearl gouramis are peaceful with each other and do well in groups, especially with the size tank you have, you should be fine with multiple.

10. OP
    OP
    S

That's good to hear. I actually have 4 juvenile pearls in quarantine right now.

11. goplecos

They are peaceful with each other but might become aggressive towards the fish when they pair off and try to breed.

12. Anders247

I wouldn't be worried about their breeding aggression in this size tank, also, if there are no floating plants there'd be less of a chance of breeding issues.

13. OP
    OP
    S

I'll try sexing them when they're a bit bigger to see what I have. I don't plan on having any floatings plants in the tank, but I'll keep an eye on them to see if there is any aggression. Thanks for the replies goplecos and anders.

14. goplecos

I have only kept them in a 55 and they were super aggressive. You are probably totally right if you have kept them in larger tanks.

15. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Anders advice

16. OP
    OP
    S

What do you guys think if I replaced the kuhli loaches with one or two geophagus from the stocking list? I was thinking of getting this fish because I heard that this fish likes to sift through the sand to prevent trapped air bubbles and kuhli loaches since they make me a bit squeamish.

17. Anders247

IME, pearl gouramis are never aggressive. Did you have a large group or just one or two?

I wouldn't do geophagus instead of kuhli loaches, as Geos prefer to be in groups and many get too big for a group in this size tank, imo.

18. OP
    OP
    S

I have 4 pearl gouramis right now, it was an impulse buy from 2 weeks ago.

19. Anders247

My bad, I was asking goplecos that question, should have quoted him.

20. OP
    OP
    S

its all good