Stocking reccomendation for planted 20 Gallon tall betta tank

Levshow

Dear all,

I have a 20 gallon tall planted tank with a Betta and 8 neon tetras.

My substrate is fluorite sea chem.

What fish and how many of them should I stock my tank with to complete it?

Also, include recommendations for types of bottom dwellers that would work in my tank and wouldn't be bothered by the gravel favourite substrate.

kattiq

You could add in some pygmy corys. I'd say at the very least a school of 8-10?

Levshow

kattiq I think that I'm gonna do that!

kattiq

Levshow said:
kattiq I think that I'm gonna do that!
Cool, yah they are really cute. And great tank mates. :)

Levshow

kattiq one of my neon tetras seems to have completely disappeared.

Assuming that I get 10 Pygmy corys to go with my current betta and 7 Neon tetras could I add a bottom feeder and a few more Neon tetras?

kattiq

Well corys are bottom feeders, what other fish were you thinking about? And you can definitely add in more neons- you are pretty understocked in my opinion considering all of these fish have pretty low bioload.

Levshow

What other fish in general would you recommend?

I found my 8th Neon that was hiding!

kattiq

kattiq

Well you could look into otocinclus, they are really good algae eaters but I have heard they could possibly be a little bit more sensitive to stress. I also really enjoy the Amano shrimp in my tank too. They are pretty large so the betta would leave them alone.
If you ever wanted a snail, I'd recommend a mystery snail, they are fun to watch zoom around the tank. Mine loves to go to the top and fall down to the bottom.
I think a 20g is too small for say a BN pleco or something like that. Or you could look into some of the bigger species of cory cats like pandas, albino, greens, peppered etc. But with the pygmies you could get a bigger school of them.

Top Bottom