stocking rate question

1. Captin P Member Member

I have been cycling (fishlessly) for a while and my 55g is FINALLY READY.:;banaman I am adding yellow labs first, about 4, and plan on getting up to between 12 - 15 fish. What is the best rate to add fish? My reading suggests 4 -5 at a time weekly or bi weekly. They will all be Malwali's. Thanks!!!

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

I would do like 4-5 every other week or a little less to be safe but that is just me. It also depends on how big the fish you are adding are... if they are still fry you should be fine but if they are full grown then you want to do less.

3. Captin P Member Member

Thanks Daac! I appreciate the help!

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would do 3-4 every other week personally. I think 5 would be a little much. Keep testing your water to double check. After the first time you add fish if you don't notice anything changing in your water quality then maybe go ahead and do 5.

5. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I agree. Maybe 1 or 2 every weekend, but e_watson09's plan is better.

6. Kent799 Initiate Member

I agree with e_watson09. Add 2-4 fish. Wait a couple weeks to add more but make sure to test your tank before you add more fish.

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

What method did you use to cycle your tank?

What maturity are your fish?

As with Malawi's the issue is territory. By adding fish slowly, other fish will establish more prominent spaces before the bigger boys can go in. This will result in fighting and often chaos in a tank.

I personally cycled my tank with ammonia (and seeded media) for 2 months. ALL the fish will be going in next week, luckily they are still juvinile though.

8. Captin P Member Member

Awesome info! Thank everyone!! iZaO, I used MarineLand cycle and a seeded media sponge for about a month in one of the hob's. then last week i started 5 cap fulls on day one and 2 1/2 each day after for 6 days. Tested the water and my nitrates are a little high. I changed the water (approx 30%) but have not tested it yet. That was three days ago. As far as the maturity i was going to start with juveniles and i have read what you said about size and territory in an established tank so i was thinking future sets would have to be a little bigger or rearrange the tank or both.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

As long as you feel confident. Usually with aggressive fish if theres a slight bit of doubt in your mind, its usually valid and for a reason.

I do recommend starting with Juviniles and let them grow up together. Make sure whatever fish you get though are similar in size and stature.

Before stocking i would use ammonia in decent quantities to ensure the tank's cycle is established. I think the way i cycle my tank it will be difficult to break the cycle because i used so much ammonia over such a long time.

Good luck and keep us posted! :):)

10. Captin P Member Member

I Shall., and Thanks!

11. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Four bi weekly maybe even every third week.
    Quarantine?

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Again that is dependant. IMO africans need to be together. Quarantine initially is difficult following that method especially if you have a large stock to go in.

If the tank is stocked very slowly, then i would attempt to get the smallest ones in first, but even that could go wrong

13. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

still whats the quarantine situation?

14. Captin P Member Member

I dont have a quarantine tank, unfortunately. But that's seems to be the question. How do you balance getting the an appropriate # of fish in with out disrupting the cycle and stay the aggression???

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Cycle the tank with high concentrations of ammonia. Use the add daily method here and then continue until it is cycled. Then double the ammount of ammonia you are adding each day, and when your filter removes all toxins within 12 hours, double again until the same result in achieved. Then your cycle will be strong enough to handle the FULL bioload of the tank.