Stocking Rainbows In 30g Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JRyley, Apr 22, 2018.

1. JRyley

JRyleyNew MemberMember

I am running a 30 gallon planted tank and have been slowly adding rainbows over the last couple of weeks. My current inhabitants include 2 Celebes, 2 Goyder Rivers, and 3 Dwarf Kamakas (2 males and 1 female). I know that I need to add females, but I also don’t want to overcrowd the tank. The dominant male is harassing the other male, so I want to fix the problem today. Can I fit more fish in this tank? Should I return one of the males instead (I really want to keep them both if possible)?

If it helps, I am going to be adding sponges to the filter to increase my bioload capacity. These fish seem really happy so far with great behavior and coloration.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would change out the rainbows you're keeping. Celebes are smaller and more timid than the other two species you've chosen. They likely won't compete well. They should also be in larger groups.

Is the tank 30" or 36" long?

The Goyder rivers need a bigger tank, as they get to be around 6" long - much too big for even a 36" tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice