Stocking questions

Rick bose

I have some basic stocking questions
1. Do glofish danios and regular danios school together?
2. Do glofish danio of different colours school together?
3. Do regular danio of different colours school together?
4. Do bronze corydoras & albino variety of the bronze corydoras school together?

Do each colour variant of danio, corydoras or glofish danio need to be in a school of 6? Or one can mix several coloue variant of the glofish danio and regular danios and keep a healthy school of 12. The glofish variant will only be 4 of 2 different colours while the regular ones will be rest of 2 different colours. The corydoras will be 8 of 2 different colours. Is that okay?

ferg42995

I think the answers are:

1) Yes, if they are the same species of danio. Color doesn't matter.
2) Same answer
3) Same answer
4) No. Should be the same species of Corydoras for schooling.

Others will jump in and correct me if I am in error.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I think the answers are:

1) Yes, if they are the same species of danio. Color doesn't matter.
2) Same answer
3) Same answer
4) No. Should be the same species of Corydoras for schooling.

Others will jump in and correct me if I am in error.
The corydoras are also same species. They are bronze corydoras. There is a albino colour of them. But I think they are the same species as their scientific names are same, just 2 colour varieties.

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

I'm not so sure about mixing different species of danios, but the different colored glofish should school fine together, and I would recommend 6+ of both the danios and the cories. I have heard some have success keeping those two cory types together since they're both c. aeneus but generally I think it's better just to stick with one type of corydora.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

I'm not so sure about mixing different species of danios, but the different colored glofish should school fine together, and I would recommend 6+ of both the danios and the cories. I have heard some have success keeping those two cory types together since they're both c. aeneus but generally I think it's better just to stick with one type of corydora.
I actually didn't get what you said. You said to keep both the cories and danios should be kept in a group of at least 6. But I already said the danios and the cories will be kept in a group of more than 6.
Are you saying I can't form a school using some glofish danios and some regular ones?
Then can 2 different colours of zebra danios be used to form a school as they are both regular zebra danios, not glofish.
Aren't the white corydoras and bronze corydoras the same species, just two colour variants?

I am asking this as I have 4 regular pink zebra danios and 4 regular bluish/greyish zebra danios. I am thinking of getting 4 glofish of 2 different colours. I won't want to get more than 4. So if the 2 colour variants of the regular danios each need to be in a school of 6, then I would buy that instead of 4 glofish.
If glofish and regular danios of different colours school together, then I would buy 4 glofish.
If glofish and regular danios don't school together but 2 colours variants of regular danio do, they I won't buy any.( I have the 8 danios for a long time with no issue, they never chase or nip any other fish. They sometimes show schooling behaviour too. Honestly these days I get too little time to gaze on my aquariums. I am not sure but I think they are fine. Still asking to confirm.)

Now the real problem, I had 6 bronze corydoras. 2 of them died recently, most probably because of old age as they were with me for more than 2 years and they were fully grown when I bought them. Now I searched all the LFS in my area, no one has them. Some of them have the albino variety. So was thinking of getting 4 of them to complete the school. But if they don't school, then it's useless. Instead the albino ones would not be in school too. So won't buy any.

Upvote 0

kanzekatores

The reason I said you need 6+ of the corys and danios is because you phrased it as a question in your original post. But if you are already planning on having more than 6 to school together than it's all good.

I've gotten mixed results from researching if the bronze and albino cats will school together. Many say it will work, because like it's been said before, they're the same specie (C. Aeneus). But they could also not school if they for some reason will only stick to their colour. It's a question of what they feel comfortable with and think of as "family", not just a question of species like we think. So really there's no way to know, but I would give it a try if I were you.

What I think about the danios is that those colour variants of the zebras will school together, but not with the glofish. Again, glofish don't exactly look like zebra danios, so they may not school with them because they don't look the same as them.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Re: schooling based on color
I remember reading a paper about mating in cichlids and I believe there are multiple different "species" living in the same areas that don't breed because their colors are different. This was tested because in lab conditions they changed the color of the light to make the color differences disappear and then the two types of fish would breed with no issues. Now, I don't know if that applies to Cory's, but if it does then it would be likely that they wouldn't school. Just something to think about, I have no actual experience with this topic.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

Re: schooling based on color
I remember reading a paper about mating in cichlids and I believe there are multiple different "species" living in the same areas that don't breed because their colors are different. This was tested because in lab conditions they changed the color of the light to make the color differences disappear and then the two types of fish would breed with no issues. Now, I don't know if that applies to Cory's, but if it does then it would be likely that they wouldn't school. Just something to think about, I have no actual experience with this topic.
And what is your opinion about the danios and glofish danios?

Upvote 0

Matt11711

And what is your opinion about the danios and glofish danios?
Again, no experience but for me it would depend on if schooling is mainly a behavior driven by matching movements or if it is a specific reaction to recognizing fish similar to themselves. Since they almost definitely have the same instincts about schooling and the same movements, that would be what it depends upon. I haven't read enough articles on how schooling behaviors are formed and what causes them to have an opinion with no experience.

Upvote 0

Vegetarianpanda

Glofish danios should school with zebra danios as glofish are just genetically modified zebra danios... though I'm not positive.

With corydoras cant say to much but I have panda corydoras and bronze corydoras and albino varient of the bronze. All the bronze corydoras stick together and one of the albinos school with the bronze. All my panda corydoras stick together but one of my albino corydora (small male) sticks with the pandas for some reason and never seen with the bronze or other albino

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank 29 gallon stocking ideas?
Replies
Views
BettaLover7
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Aquarium Stocking
Replies
Views
LHAquatics

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom