10 Gallon Tank Stocking Questions

CrayfishAreAwesome
Hello All! i am planning my next tank which will be my first saltwater, an evo 13.5. however, there is a lot i want to put in it. is this too much? could i possibly add a possum wrasse to this stocking list? planned stocking is:

1-2 harlequin shrimp (post your opinion below!)
2 feather duster worms
a clam
an arrow crab
3 emerald clams
1 each of scarlet skunk cleaner and fire shrimp
(possibly) a conch

saltwater60
Arrow crab could eat the possum wrasse. I’d ditch the crab and go with the fish. I love possum wrasses.
what clam are you looking to get. If it’s a giant tridacna clam no way. They get too big and use way too many minerals up too fast to be maintained.
Others look good

Jesterrace
Possum Wrasse would be great. I would ditch the clam as they are spendy and not good the best for a newbie with a small tank. Definitely skip the arrow crab as it will likely hurt the fish and the feather dusters. Harlequin shrimp will need to be fed starfish, so I wouldn't recommend them. I would go with a small goby/pistol shrimp combo in that tank. Tank is too small for cleaner shrimp and or fire shrimp, they need more sources of food than just a little bit of left over food and one or two fish to clean. I had a cleaner shrimp in both my 36 gallon and my current 90 gallon and it was all over my tank working all the time and doing the "feed me dance" quite a bit. Conch snail is out for a 10 gallon. Nassarius would be a better choice.

CrayfishAreAwesome
saltwater60 said:
Arrow crab could eat the possum wrasse. I’d ditch the crab and go with the fish. I love possum wrasses.
what clam are you looking to get. If it’s a giant tridacna clam no way. They get too big and use way too many minerals up too fast to be maintained.
Others look good
Jesterrace said:
Harlequin shrimp will need to be fed starfish, so I wouldn't recommend them.
i am looking at one of the crocea or maximal clams. i don't really mind skipping the arrow crab. the only thing i am bent on is the clam and feather dusters, and the possum wrasse. thought so about the conch, and i am still unsure about the shrimp. not positive i want to invest in the starfish.

saltwater60
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
i am looking at one of the crocea or maximal clams. i don't really mind skipping the arrow crab. the only thing i am bent on is the clam and feather dusters, and the possum wrasse. thought so about the conch, and i am still unsure about the shrimp. not positive i want to invest in the starfish.
If you want a clam go with a larger tank. They grow very quickly and consume calcium, alk, and magnesium very quickly. It will need extremely high light as well and the stock lights will not be strong enough. Look at the size they get and they will take up nearly the entire tank.
sorry but a clam is just destined to die in that tank. I had a 60 gallon with a sump and had 2 clams and had trouble keeping up on the minerals because they were young and growing very quickly.
Yes jest is correct on the harlequin shrink only eating starfish so I’d also avoid them.

CrayfishAreAwesome
i knew about the starfish but have been on the fence about the harlequins.

saltwater60
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
i knew about the starfish but have been on the fence about the harlequins.
Get a sexy shrimp instead or porcelain crab. Way better choice and just as beautiful.

CrayfishAreAwesome
ok, would this stock work?
2 feather duster worms
3 emerald clams
1 condy anenome
2 porcelain crabs
8 sexy shrimp
1 possum wrasse

saltwater60
Likely yes. My only concern would be the emerald crabs and feather dusters. They may try to eat them but if properly fed it’s unlikely. Sorry about the clam they are just gorgeous but not right for a tank that size at all.

Jesterrace
3 emerald crabs for a 10 gallon tank would be a disaster and honestly I wouldn't put any in a 10 gallon as they are likely to eat something you don't want them to eat. I had one in my tank that never left my sump simply because I didn't trust it (they can eat corals and other inverts). What I would suggest is something like a sexy shrimp or pistol shimp for the shrimp and maybe a single larger hermit crab (ie left handed). I have a big left handed hermit in my tank and he definitely stands out (blue antennae, big left claw and orange legs with white tips).

Here is the guy in question:

Latest threads

Top Bottom