Stocking Questions

MajinBoo

Reaction score
We all know how beautiful betas are and I was wondering if I could add some more betas in my friendly community tank mostly populated with all sorts of tetras. I have 1 female in a 55gal and it's soon to reach its pop limit (I have a 38 gal tank in process to be installed in my fish room and a 20 gal also to relieve some of the pop and add more lol.. mostly to put my black tetras in since the 38 gal since are a taller fish and would appreciate the height I'm sure. Could I add more and how many betas into this community? I'm happy with one in this tank and love to watch her do betta things but I don't want to introduce possible fighting. Thanks!

It's just breaks my heart sometimes passing those plastic prisons..
20180505_161531.jpg
1526063034669.jpg

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't do a sorority with any fish other than the bettas and/or bottom dwellers.
That's just my personal preference.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its a touchy subject. It can be done, my betta community has been going over 2 years now but i still went a conservative route by not having alot of other fish. Personally my feelings are that most failures with bettas in a community tank is either too small of a tank or not enough room for them. Obseving mine the males claim about 10 gallons each and the girls 3-4 gallons. I have been told it can be hit or miss with aggression although i never had an issue. To up your chances of success you could try having 5+ girls to spread out aggression so no one is exclusively picked on as well as having tall decorations and tall plants to break up lines of sight. Its a gamble if it will work so try to have a plan b.

MajinBoo

Reaction score
david1978 said:
its a touchy subject. It can be done, my betta community has been going over 2 years now but i still went a conservative route by not having alot of other fish. Personally my feelings are that most failures with bettas in a community tank is either too small of a tank or not enough room for them. Obseving mine the males claim about 10 gallons each and the girls 3-4 gallons. I have been told it can be hit or miss with aggression although i never had an issue. To up your chances of success you could try having 5+ girls to spread out aggression so no one is exclusively picked on as well as having tall decorations and tall plants to break up lines of sight. Its a gamble if it will work so try to have a plan b.
I flipped the coin and decided to add more betas. All female. I picked them carefully. All of mine get along with the other fish and each other. I tried my best at picking out which ones were slow moving and kind of had a lazy/curious nature. I have an extra 39 gal tank in my fish room that just runs and is empty so that could be a plan b. Many places to hide yet not too crowded. I have to stop going to petco or Walmart. I hate seeing betas in the those small prisons to rot away.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom