Stocking Questions 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Shivermetimbers, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers Valued Member Member

So I have a 40 gallon that I have been slowly stocking and have come to a time where I think its safe to add some more fish, but wanted some opinions.

To date I have a 40 breeder which has an AC110 filter. Tank has some plants in it, but not heavily planted. So far I have 1 lyre tail molly, 2 sunburst platies, 1 dwarf flame gourami and 1 pearl gourami.

My pearl stays in the top 1/4 of the tank almost exclusively, the dwarf wanders all over with the live bearers. I would like to get a school or 2 of something as well as some bottom dwellers.

school: was thinking of some sort of tetra (neon, cardinals, black neon, diamond?) would this strictly be a looks thing? would these all school in a similar manner? is 6 a good number to start with? when I was at a lfs they had some round banded barbs that caught my eye. Would a similar number of those keep themselves busy without causing issues for the molly or gourami's? Not a good fit for my size tank?

Bottom, was initially looking for cory's maybe julii, sterbai or peppered? likely 6 in number? Or again, store had some cool looking yoyo loaches. Since these will get bigger than cory would 3 or so be enough to keep them from bothering tank mates? or do they need bigger numbers? I assume if there were 6 full grown it would be too much for my tank?

Probably going to add a few oto's but they had just came in to the store the day I went in so i figured I would go back in a few days to see if any were going to go belly up soon after shipment since I hear they are delicate at first.

I figure might need some more clean up crew....possible bristlenose pleco, maybe some shrimp, but would likely not be able to do if I went for loaches. Opinions...cory's or loaches for bottom scavengers? would 3 yoyo's be as good as 6 cory's? Not really feeling the kuhli's right now so please don't recommend those.

Also looking to add a ram of some sort or similar appisto krib etc. Does all this sound realistic over time? suggestions? other options? Thanks

2. S

Stryphe89 New Member Member

Out of the tetra you listed I would recommend Cardinals. They are lovely fish, but if you want some really great schooling fish, I would recommend rummynose tetra. They are super tight schoolers and are quite attractive in a group. For either of these, I'd suggest getting at least 6. For me, more is better for schooling fish.

As far as bottom feeders, I will always always always recommend Julii Cories. These guys are so much fun! Super active and always playing/chasing each other around. They aren't schooling fish but are extremely social, and are great little substrate cleaners. They dont get too big, so I think they would be fine for your 40g. For my cleaning crew, I have 5 of those little guys, 6 Nerite Snails and a red BN Pleco.

A note though; if you decide to get a Krib they are bottom dwellers and cave dwellers just like the Cories, and Kribs can be territorial and females are quite vicious when breeding (if you decide on a pair). Some people have kept these two fish together without issues, but I would proceed with caution.

If you added a school of Otos, Cories, and Cardinals (or similar tetra) it would leave plenty of capacity for your other fish of choice (ram or krib). I cant speak for the compatability of rams with your other gouramis, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice