Stocking Questions

1. Steveybee

Steveybee Valued Member Member

Hi everyone my tank is almost cycled and I've been researching about stocking options I have a 45 gallon tank I was looking to start with these:

1 x baby angelfish
    1 x electric blue ram
    1 x Bolivian ram

My concern is the sexes of the rams. I have a lot of plants on the bottom do you think they would fight or would they all establish their territory when I introduce them together. I was hoping to add the territorial ones first so they can establish their little spots before adding other fish.

Any advice? Two males? Two females? One of each? Thanks!

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do 2 males.

3. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The Bolivian is subtropical and requires cooler temperatures than the angel or electric blue, with 72-74 being preferable.

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agree, the Bolivian ram isn't temp compatible with the rest of the stock.

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Bolivian rams are not subtropical; they live smack in the middle of the tropics. Their high end is somewhere in the high 70s to low 80s, depending which source you're looking at. However, I agree they and the electric blue ram are not temp compatible. You could do the Bolivian ram with the angel, with temp ~77; or the electric blue ram with the angel, with temp ~82. I'd suggest sticking with two German rams along with the angel, and go with two color variants if you want variety. There are regular German rams, electric blues, and golds, as well as longfin and balloon variations.

6. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I know they are a "tropical" fish but they do better in subtropical temperatures in the low to mid 70s.

7. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Subtropical aquariums generally top out at 72, with lower being better. I'd say 76-77 counts as "mid 70s", and angels are fine in that.

8. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

Alrighty that's helpful advice! But what about the sex? Should I just do two females ? The males are prettier especially since I'm not having that many

9. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

Would one of each stress out the female ?

10. Katie13

Well, Bolivian Rams can be kept with Angels at 76. It is definitely on the low end for Angels, and I definitely wouldn't keep them in anything less.

11. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I'd do gbr or eb rams as they are more temperature compatible with angels.

12. Katie13

They are more sensitive though. I've lost a number of my GBR a few days to a week later with perfect parameters, incredibly frequent water changes, and drip acclimation.

13. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

My biggest issue in the past with GBR is every one I bought had hexamita. They are quite sensitive though, a mature, heavily planted tank with low nitrates is a must. Once acclimated and accustomed to their new home, they are active, curious little fish. My female gbr I rehomed several weeks ago (swapping community tank out for dwarf shrimp) would stick her head out of the water and beg for food when I walked by.

14. OP
    OP
    Steveybee

So let's say Bolivians are off the table and I'll go with gold, electric blue or gbr because of temperature. Does anyone have advice on keeping the sexes together please?

15. Katie13

My tank with GBRs has been running almost 2 years with GBR beginning to be stocked about 4-6 months ago. I don't quarantine anymore, but I do a preventative bath before introducing them to the tank and soak their food in medicated water for the first week. My biggest issue with GBRs is finding them, let alone healthy ones. Gold Rams are even worse!

16. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

A 1:2 male to female ratio would be advisable. with mixed sexes, but honestly an all female group would be best with dwarf cichlids.

You might also like electric blue acaras. They do get fairly big but to me look like big eb rams.

17. Katie13

I'll say this now, GBRs can be pretty hard to keep, especially imported ones. Another thing to note is that I have had absolutely no success with Golds yet. Two males can be aggressive toward each other. If you have 1m/2-3+f, you will likely end up with a breeding pair which will get aggressive while spawning.

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions?