Stocking questions!!

1. tabshire95 Member Member

I have a 55g and I need ideas for stocking, I currently have eight zebra danios and 5 neon tetras in the tank and I really like the idea of smaller schooling fish. Its a mostly hardscaped tank that I plan to convert to a low light planted somewhere in the near to moderate future. It has a very fine gravel substrate, the gravel honestly feels more like sand. I am out of ideas for stocking though, I enjoy the bright flash of colors these fish give off in the light so I'd like to stick with that. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Boesemani Rainbows!

3. tabshire95 Member Member

WoW those are stunning fish! I'm looking into themnow!

4. Tonia Well Known Member Member

A few options that you could consider for the 55g tank.

Dwarf/ Pygmy rainbow fish
    Threadfin or Featherfin rainbows (These are small, about the size of neons)
    Cardinal tetras - Look a lot like neons
    Black neons - they have the flash, slightly larger than blue neons
    Harlequin rasboras
    Cherry Barbs - for a nice red color

These are a start. If you have some fish you are interested in, please feel free to mention them, there are plenty of people who would be happy to help work out if they are able to co-habitate with your current stock.

5. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I bought 25 neons for $25 at a local fish store for my 55 gallon. I am kinda wishing that I would have purchased 50. Neons in large quantities are awesome!

6. tabshire95 Member Member

i'm already wanting to purchase more neons. or some other bright variety of tetra. They zip around and are just a blast to watch. I wanted a bottom dweller as well, I really like the kuhli loachs but I heard they aren't meant for gravel substrates. Which is rather unfortunate because I have that very fine grained gravel substrate in my tank =(.

7. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm a huge, huge fan of black neons. They're so underrated.

8. Tonia Well Known Member Member

I have golden eel kuhli loaches in my tank with the guppies. They tend to hide out in a hollow decoration and in the plants. I do have a gravel-like substrate. It is Eco complete, but the kuhlis I have seem fine with it. They are growing and wonderful to watch. This is what mine look like. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-anguillaris

I also have Black Neons, they are so striking and get along with everyone in the tank

9. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Well you could always increase your schools, as they are a little on the light side just now, or perhaps work on filling out the top and bottom of your tank,
    Dwarf cichlids would do nicely for filling out the bottom layer, and perhaps hatchetfish for the top.
    It comes down to a matter of your taste, really, as any suggestion that I give is simply my taste.
    If you wish to have schooling, or perhaps shoaling fish that will make an impression in your tank, silver dollars would, I think, look nice, giving a contrast in colour and size.--rick

Btw, when I started typing this, there was one response, adam55.--if we can't get another tank, we live through another's:)-I would also say that you posed a good question, and did receive good suggestions. Only thing to do now is follow all, and buy a few more tanks:)

10. tabshire95 Member Member

I want to try and get the tank semi planted before I add the loaches though. I feel like I'm not doing them justice with plastic plants. But the bottom of my tank is also extremely empty, and between them and the plants hopefully it'll cut my gravel vac time down!

11. tabshire95 Member Member

Would cichlids be safe for this tank?? Its a question out of sheer lack of knowledge, I have always heard of cichlids being aggressive and territorial.