Stocking Questions! Yo Yo Loaches?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Connor1362, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Connor1362

Connor1362New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! I've been around the forums for awhile now, but I finally decided to make an account, after wondering about my 20 gallon aquarium. My aquarium has one dwarf neon gourami, 4 julii corydoras, and an albino longfin bristelnose pleco. Everything is fully grown except for the pleco, which is still quite young.

My tank is heavily planted with mostly low light plants, containing some crypt, java fern, a moss ball, Java lace fern, Anubias, "mermaid plant" I believe, and a couple others. The tank is cycled, and is relatively old at this point. The substrate is gravel, and I've got some driftwood throughout the aquarium.

After seeing some yo yo loaches in my lfs, I fell in love with the little guys. My question is, would I be able to reasonably house them, and make them happy? How many would I need? They're just new to me, and I'm quite curious. Hopefully I didn't leave any important details out. Thanks everyone!

2. Kalyke

KalykeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +338
    Experience:
    5 years
    I had a group of 6 yoyo loaches. They grew to be about 3.5 to 4 inches long and pestered and also murdered a lot of fish over the 3 or so years I had them. They liked killing anything they could get their tiny little barbels into. I have khuli loaches now, and they are a bit nicer in a community tank. I also like dojos. They never killed any of my fish, but they are like super sized khulis.

3. OP
    OP
    Connor1362

Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea about zebra loaches? I've heard those can be nice too. Yo yo loaches would be my preference, but I don't want to overstock/risk any fish I have now.

4. Kalyke

KalykeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +338
    Experience:
    5 years
    I do not know if zebras have a different personality. They killed my albino female bristle nosed pleco. They just ganged up and pestered her until she wedged herself between rocks and died. After that I re-homed them. It was "just nature" when they killed the other fish, but killing my pleco was too much.

5. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I just got in todat some Zebra loaches and YoYo loaches. The Zebras seem to be fine with the other tank mates, but then again I got 10 of them to hopefully cut down on some aggression they may have. I've heard they are a realatively peaceful fish.

6. AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    4 years
    I would finish up for Julii Cory school, maybe add 2-4 more of those guys to keep them happy

7. OP
    OP
    Connor1362

Ratings:
    +0
    Anymore opinions? I'm curious on your thoughts.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I don't think you have room for another bottom dwellig school along with your cories. You could get 2 or 3 more cories but I'd avoid adding any loaches.