Stocking Questions - Asking For A Friend

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Blaggy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. BlaggyValued MemberMember

Hey guys, so a friend of mine is recently getting into the fish hobby and she wasn't sure about some stocking ideas. Her tank has finally cycled. I told her about this forum and she asked me to post about what she's thinking.

She has a 40G with a AquaClear 50.

For plants she has:
    1x Water Wisteria
    1x Bacopa
    3x Anubias nanas
    1x Jungle Val
    Multiple floating Dwarf lettuce plants

This was her unfinished stocking plan. She wants a peaceful community type tank with some colorful fish.

2x Pearl Gourami - 1m/1f
    1x Swordtail - 1m
    8x Panda Cories
    1x Peacock Gudgeons - 1m

2x Nerite Snails OR 5x Cherry Shrimp - She is concerned about the snails eggs being left behind, we read its hard to get them off. She's also unsure about shrimp because she doesn't know if the fish will eat them or not.

She wants to have schooling fish but wasn't sure which to have. I suggested Zebra Danios, Lemon Tetras, or Harlequin Rasboras, any other thoughts?

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I would do more gourami. two is an odd number and you might have too much agression with just the pair. Get rid of the sword tail, one is going to be very odd for your aquarium, and they can aggressive. The corydoras look good. In the 40 gallon you could get away with more gudgeons if you wanted. Nerite eggs aren't too hard to get rid of. They won't hatch because they do need brackish water though. Gourami will eat the shrimp, and you won't see the cherrys in the 40 gallon. For schooling species, keep away from the zebra danios because they are a colder water species.

3. BlaggyValued MemberMember

She seems pretty set on having a swordtail. Do they really get aggressive without females there? So shrimp are out of the question then. If snail eggs are easy to get rid thats probably what she will do. I hear they also have a small bio-load. For the Pearls, they sound relatively peaceful, but maybe doing 1 male and 2 females would be better?

Any suggestions for schoolers that won't bother the Pearls but will bring color?

4. Oliver T.Valued MemberMember

platys are a great replacement to swordtails in my opinion, also maybe have a pleco of some sort?

5. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I would do at least a 1:2 ratio for sword tails to divert aggression. a total of 6 would probably be the best. Gourami can be peaceful, but you will have less aggression in numbers and a group of 3 or more will be better. As for schoolers, i would stay away from barbs, you could go with most of the tetra species also with just a few exceptions.

6. TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

I got lucky and my 3 nerites aren't laying eggs. I read somewhere if you put them into a QT with some driftwood, you can watch to see if any of them lay eggs on it, if so, take the female back to the store.

7. BlaggyValued MemberMember

Alright, I'll make sure to fill her in. She seems to want Pearls the most so sounds like its between Pearls or Swordtails. What about Cardinals and/or Lemons?

Thats a great idea!

8. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

What are the dimensions for the tank?

9. BlaggyValued MemberMember

48L x 12W x 16H

10. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, male swordtails only get aggressive when theres females present. Even then, they shoaling fish so I would just do a single sex shoal of 3 -5 males.

Other than that, theres a lot a tetras, rasboras, pencils that could work. I would suggest looking into ember tetras, rummies, glowlights, silvertips, reeds... If your looking for something a bit off the beaten path, I would suggest pencils or some of the more uncommon tetras - like rosy, ornates, black/red phantoms, xrays....

A single shoal of around x10 would work, along with the above mentions I suggested - and another female gourami....

11. BlaggyValued MemberMember

Thanks for the input I’ll be sure to fill her in. She was curious about how this stock would be with only 1 Male Pearl Gourami instead and have him be the center piece. Would that work and would he be peaceful, color up, and not be shy?

12. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

One male gourami could work, having dithers in there - particularly the tetras as well as swordtails- should let him not be as shy....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice