stocking question Help 

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
for my 75 gallon. i really like the green terrors, oscars, and the jd. i realize that having all 3 would probably not end well, but i at least want 2 of them. what would be the best combo (i plan on getting them all as young as i can, and probably all at the same time, i've read that when these fish grow up together they are more willing to accept each other as tank mates.

what do you think?

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never kept cichlids so this is just anecdotal, but I saw a surrendered 8" oscar at a Petco recently that had been kept with a JD by the previous owner. Huge ragged gashes taken out of his left side and mouth was sagging down. He was in quarantine on antibiotics.

I'm just saying, maybe not a JD with an oscar?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Theepum, for a 75gal I'd suggest only a single Oscar, but you might be able to do a JD and Green Terror together.

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nick Goody said:
Hi Theepum, for a 75gal I'd suggest only a single Oscar, but you might be able to do a JD and Green Terror together.
i see on your info you have a jd and an oscar in a 90 gallon. does 15 gallon. really make that much of a difference?

how are they holding up?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
15 gallons will make the world of difference. If they have it and they're not reccomending you do it then I'm assuming they're tank is "okay" but all craziness could break loose at anytime. I agree only one oscar or JD and green terror.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they are standard tanks the only difference would be the height. I believe a standard 75 and 90 are both 48"L X 18"W. But a 75 is 20"H and a 90 is 24"H. Someone correct me if I am wrong, in other words would someone google that for me...thanks.

The only fish that I believe would use the height would be the Oscar, I know they all use all of the tank but an Oscar stays out in the upper portion of the tank a lot more than the other two would.

Your best bet for a 75 would be to get 3 or 4 fish of the 2 species you pick. Let them grow some and keep a female from the species you picked. Generally females are more laid back than the males of most species but remembering cichlids are cichlids and the females too will act up on any given day. I am not saying it won't work with males just a better chance with females.

If you pick the GT and Jack I think you would be fine. If you get them at the same size they will grow at about the same rate this way you don't have the problem with one out growing the other and therefor being dominant on sheer size alone. Again one will be the dominant fish but having them close to the same size will help.

There was an excellent study done and basically it showed cichlids can tell another cichlids size in terms of body mass. If a cichlid sees another cichlid with, I believe these numbers are right... they are very close I am going from memory, a body mass of 5-7% more than their own they will not engage it, ie tail smacking, lip locking, etc. In other words they will not pick a fit they see as having no chance to win (defending fry is altogether different, they don't care normally at this point they will fight with anyone who steps forward).
Also with liplocking, in two that are going to possibly spawn, one of the reasons a pair will do this is the female is trying to find a strong male to mate with. They have discovered a female who is much stronger than a male during courtship will often move on to find a more dominant male.

If you pick either an Oscar and GT or an Oscar and Jack here is the main problem I would see. The Oscar is going to outgrow the other two species possibly growing twice as fast assuming you get them as juvies say 2". Oscars grow fast at the start and this may pose a problem. Going back to a fish being dominant because of sheer size alone.

I think any of the combos could work, while keeping in mind you really never know with cichlids. Having different areas set up, with some so smaller fish can get into but not bigger fish would be your best bet. You could try it and have it work then set up an identical tank and try it again and have it not work. Just know there is going to be dominance issues, but that is normal for cichlids. That's my opinion anyway.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads