Stocking question... 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mcurtissdsu, Mar 21, 2010.

1. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

I currently have 1 angelfish and 3 guppies in my 10 gallon tank.

I keep reading about how everybody loves the little cory catfish. If I added one to my 10 gallon, would I be overtsocked? If yes, I plan on getting a 5 gallon in a month or two for a betta for my new office. Would a cory and a betta be ok in a tank together?

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

You'll eventually be overstocked anyway with the angelfish. They get to be 6" long and about 9" tall and should really be in a 40+ gallon tank.

Cories would be fine in your 10gal, but they like to be in groups of three or more, so you'd want to get one of the smaller varieties like albinos, peppereds, bronzes or pandas, that stay around 2". That being said, unless you got pygmy cories (only get to be about 1" long), they wouldn't fit in a 5gal...and some bettas don't tolerate tankmates very well.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

IMO a 10 is much too small for corys. They need to be in a group and they need room to swim, and a 10 does not offer much of either. A 30" long tank is a minimum, as is a group of 6. One cory kept in a 10 will not die, and can live for a long time. But, IME keeping them in larger numbers and in larger tanks allows them to act more naturally, and isn't that what we want for our fish? That's my opinion on the matter.

I agree with bassbonediva about the angelfish.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Thank you for the info on the angelfish. I am aware that I will need to upgrade him to a 30 gallon tank. Right now he is 1.5" long and 1.5" tall. Is there an estimated length of time that I can wait before buying a 30 gallon tank? I did not know this about angelfish when I bought him, Petsmart told me that 2 angelfish, 4 guppies and a pleco would be fine in a 10 gallon tank and, sadly, some of them died within 4 weeks. I have one angel left now but I can't afford a tank right away.

Would you say I have a few months until he needs a bigger one? A few weeks? A year? Any sort of estimate would be nice. I really don't want to give him up if I don't have to and I refuse to give him back to Petsmart. The angelfish there are kept in groups of like 20-30 and it looks like a 5 gallon tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice