Stocking Question

1. Saxman171 Initiate Member

I'm somewhat new to fishkeeping. I've had 2 male bettas since about June of this year, and both seem to be happy and healthy in their own tanks, so I decided a little while back that I wanted to start a slightly bigger tank (still small though), so I got a 5.5 gallon setup and cycled it before adding any fish, of course. I got some fish that I liked and added them (one at a time over the course of about a month). They all seem to get along very well with each other. I was just wondering if anybody had any input on the fish I have stocked in this tank. I'm worried that the 5.5 gallon may be a tad small for the powder blue gourami (although the guy at the store said 5 was fine, but I'm still worried). He seems fine for now, but he's not full grown yet so I'm not sure if this will end up being too small for him or not. Anyway, any input you have is appreciated. If I have screwed up somewhere, please let me know. It's my first shot at a small community tank and I want to fix it if I messed up. The tank info is in my signature. Thank you!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome! It's good to hear you've done your homework and cycled the tank.

Unfortunately, the dwarf gourami is too big for a 5.5 gallon. A 10 is the minimum, IMO. The same could be said about the other fish, too, I'm sorry to say.

3. Saxman171 Initiate Member

oops....

I guess I somehow disabled my signature on accident on that last post.... the info is in my signature for real this time :)

4. Saxman171 Initiate Member

I'm not sure why but when I preview the post it shows the signature but then I can't see it in the thread...
    Now it's working....

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Your aquarium info is accurate, right?

6. Saxman171 Initiate Member

I believe so. I'm still trying to get used to this site.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

All looks good to me. Haven't seen your sig yet though.

8. Saxman171 Initiate Member

Yeah I'm not sure why it isn't showing up.... I'll have to work on that...

9. Saxman171 Initiate Member

Anyway, thank you for the input. I was thinking about upgrading it to a 10 gallon... it wouldn't be too much trouble to do so.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!!!
    Allot of us have started out like you and the information given to us from fish stores, is awful most of the time :(

if your tank info is correct, you arent cycled yet as well as overstocked ...neither im sure is good to hear...the tank would be ok for your gourami, and maybe some pygmy cories..but that would be pushing it...smaller tanks are soo much harder to keep the water parimeters on track so you would have to keep up on water changes...the gourami would be more of a surface middle swimmer, and your pygmies would take up the bottom....but the tank has to finish being cycled...

if you are still using stress zyme, id stop using it and find some prime water conditioner..stress zyme doesnt contain the right bacteria and is eating up the good bacteria needed to finish up the cycle....the prime will help detox the ammonia/nitrites for 24 hours until another water change is needed...you need the daily water changes until you have 0 ammonia/nitrites and under 20 nitrates to keep the fish safe...

do you think you can find a 20g ? that would work for the fish you have and allow you to add a few more when your cycle is completed...check out www.craigslist.org for a ton of great deals this time of year....

good luck!

11. Saxman171 Initiate Member

Thanks for the input Shawnie. In my info for the 5.5 gallon I put that I started it in October, but that's actually when I started adding the fish. I cycled it for 6 weeks prior to this using the Shrimp method. A tank size upgrade does seem like a good idea though. I guess once I go home from college for winter break I may have to do some searching for a bigger tank. Thanks again!

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Craigslist is a great place to start looking.