29 Gallon Tank Stocking question

GusMcGrath202020

Hello! I just recently set up a 29 gallon tank that is pretty lightly planted and I was wondering if the fish I have In mind and the amount are suitable for my tank. The plants I have now include 1 small amazon sword, one small pointy sword (not doing to well) a couple stems of money wort, a couple stems of another plant I don't know the name of, Some elodea, 2 anubias nana, a bit of dwarf hairgrass, some crypt balasae (melting) some ECHINODORUS DECUMBENS (not doing to well) I also have some giant duckweed. Plants I plan on adding are more elodia and jungle val and s repens( all for cover) The fish I want to add are 1 baby bristle nose, 1 or 2 pearl gourami, a school of cherry barbs or harlequin rasboras. will all of this be okay? the ph is 7.5 and the water is pretty hard right now (as I live in San Diego) but I have Indian almond leaves in there to soften it up a bit. I also have some ghost shrimp in there, and yes I am aware they might be eaten by the fish. Lastly I Also have some supplies being delivered to try diy co2. All I want to know is if you guys think my tank will be successful and if my fish and plants are/will be compatible. Thank You!

bcsay720

Gouramis like dense plant coverage, and it will be good for the smaller fish for reduced sightline purposes in case your gouramis end up on the aggressive side. It will also make the gouramis feel safer. I'd make sure your plants are pretty tall, though, since they're top dwellers.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

I agree with bcsay720. It would probably work, but sight breakers are key for almost all freshwater fish. Your smaller schooling fish will feel more comfortable in your home and your larger fish won't be able to single your smaller fish out just in case you do have aggression down the road. You could also switch the Pearl Gourami out for some Honey Gouramis, one of the smaller, more docile and laid back Gourami species.

Upvote 0

GusMcGrath202020

Cool thank you. My tank is definitely pretty empty that's why I was gonna add some jungle val. Any other plants you think might benefit my tank? (i'm broke btw)
also if I do get 2 pearl gouramis male+female or female+female
I have experience with fish tanks but this is my first live planted tank so please don't judge me too hard. Is that enough cover?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

bcsay720

Jungle val should definitely help. I also have wisteria. It grows fast, and you can propogate it very easily into more plants.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I'd suggest 3 pearls; one male and two females.

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

I'd suggest 3 pearls; one male and two females.
This will spread any aggression around so no one fish is getting abused. As stated a few times earlier in the thread lots of sight breaking plants will be beneficial as well.

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom