Stocking Question

Level99Fishing

Hello fishlore,

Most of the good schooling fish I know swim at the middle or bottom of the water column. Now I'm looking for a good schooling fish that'll exclusively swim at the top or mid-top (i.e. never go to the bottom). The only one I can think of right now is the harlequin rasbora and its relatives. Anyone know any other species?

Level99Fishing

zebra danios swim at the top? I've only seen them swim mid-bottom in the stores.

Upvote 0

BluMan1914

zebra danios swim at the top? I've only seen them swim mid-bottom in the stores.
Everytime I've had them, they always zipped around the top in a tight group. This is not to say they didnt venture into the mid part of the tank. But 75-80% of the time was at the top of the tank.

Upvote 0

cocochino

I think black neon tetra and zebra danios like the middle to top part. other fish that stay near the top but don't really act like schooling fish (to my knowledge) are guppys, hatchet fish, pencil fish, half beaks, killifish. There's a lot more but if your looking for scooling I would go with black neons or a danio that stays up top (like zebra).

Upvote 0

Mouska

My emerald eye Rasboras never go to the bottom of my tank and are always swimming closely together in a school in the middle and top of the aquarium.

Upvote 0

Level99Fishing

My friend has white cloud minnows that are only ever around the top/high middle of the tank.
Oh thanks I didn't know that. However I'm planning a heater-less setup next and have minnows in mind for that so I won't be using them here.

I think black neon tetra and zebra danios like the middle to top part. other fish that stay near the top but don't really act like schooling fish (to my knowledge) are guppys, hatchet fish, pencil fish, half beaks, killifish. There's a lot more but if your looking for scooling I would go with black neons or a danio that stays up top (like zebra).

Are black neon tetras active swimmers? Or do they just kinda float around?

Upvote 0

Level99Fishing

My emerald eye Rasboras never go to the bottom of my tank and are always swimming closely together in a school in the middle and top of the aquarium.

How big is your tank?

Upvote 0

Level99Fishing

Here on fishlore, I see that the black neon tetra is labelled as mid-bottom dwelling. However, on every other website I searched them on it says they're mid-top dwelling. Anybody kept them before that can confirm for me? And how well do they school?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
50 Gallon Tank Tank stocking Ideas
Replies
Views
fishot
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Help Stock My Tank