Question Stocking question

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,

New to the forum but have gotten answers to my many questions through this site so I’m hoping you will be able to help me now!

I’m looking to fully restock my tank. It is a 20 gallon, fully cycled 0 ammonia/nitrite & around 20ppm nitrate. The water in my area is a little hard and my ph is around 7.2 but will use peat granules to soften the water.

The stock I’m hoping for is:
1 Clown Plec
2 honey gourami
2 dwarf gourami OR 6 galaxy rasbora
4 or 5 either zebra loach or Yoyo loach
4 or 5 Corydoras sterbai
& Some shrimp

Now I know ideally I need a bigger tank but hear me out.. within the next year I will be getting a larger tank (most likely a 250L) so my thinking is that by the time they are all fully grown they’ll be in a much larger space.

Also to mention I have massive over filtration (All Pond Solutions 2000EF+ External Filter suitable for up to 1000 litre) full with biohome ultimate.

This is my dream stock but of course I don’t want to end up losing fish so my question is, could this work or am I being way too ambitious?

Any advice/suggestions welcome!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
CorydorasCats said:
Hi guys,

New to the forum but have gotten answers to my many questions through this site so I’m hoping you will be able to help me now!

I’m looking to fully restock my tank. It is a 20 gallon, fully cycled 0 ammonia/nitrite & around 20ppm nitrate. The water in my area is a little hard and my ph is around 7.2 but will use peat granules to soften the water.

1 Clown Plec
2 honey gourami
4 or 5 Corydoras sterbai
& Some shrimp

Now I know ideally I need a bigger tank but hear me out.. within the next year I will be getting a larger tank (most likely a 250L) so my thinking is that by the time they are all fully grown they’ll be in a much larger space.

Also to mention I have massive over filtration (All Pond Solutions 2000EF+ External Filter suitable for up to 1000 litre) full with biohome ultimate.

This is my dream stock but of course I don’t want to end up losing fish so my question is, could this work or am I being way too ambitious?

Too ambitious. Loaches and Cory's do best in groups of 6 or 9+ both are minimum 20 tank size so both I say no. If gourmaies are all males and usually are at LFS you will likely end up with territorial issues between them.

Lovely fish but probably not all in a 20

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CorydorasCats said:
Hi guys,

1 Clown Plec
2 honey gourami
4 or 5 Corydoras sterbai
& Some shrimp

Hi, welcome too fishlore

Hi, think it's a little "ambitious" but some of the fish should work out.
I would drop the Dwarf Gourami completely, they're aggressive and often come with health issues, not all of which are treatable.
Honey's are by far the better choice and wonderful fish to keep. They have such great little personalities.

In a 20L I would choose either the Zebra loaches or the Sterbai Corydoras. Personally I'd get a group of at least 5 Zebra Loaches, I have 8 in my 50 and they are fantastic fish to watch.

The Galaxy Rasbora should be fine but get more, keep in mind, they are quite expensive and can be frail. Harlequins may be a better choice.

Can't say much about the clown Pleco, they need real driftwood.
If you get the Loaches, don't get shrimp, they will almost certainly eat them. They're good at eating snails as well.

So my recommended stocking from what you want would be:
3-5 Honey Gourami
5 Zebra Loaches(get more when you upgrade)
7-9 Harlequin Rasbora or Galaxy Rasbora(CPD)
maybe the Pleco, although all the fish above are Asian

It's somewhat important you get a 20 long, a high doesn't have a lot of space on the bottom that the Zebra Loaches appreciate.
Another thing to note is Gourami don't cope well in strong flow, it maybe the case with your filter.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1. you need to get at least 5 loaches. They are slow growing fish so if you can be absolutely sure that you will upgrade within 12 months, Yoyo Loaches could work, or zebras, Or you could go with a school of at least 8
chain loaches or kuhlie loaches and they could live in the 20 gallon indefinitly.
2. You need at least 5 Cories. I suggest that you get cories or loaches not both. Your Ph is Fine, you do not need to alter it. But your Ph is more ideal for cories then for loaches.
3. Most species of gourami can not live peacefully with other species of gourami. Dwarf gourami are not peaceful fish and I recommend the honey gourami instead.
4. Galaxy rasbora are nice, I personally find them too small for you to really see how beautiful, so a would go with the harlequins since they are very pretty and less money, and more hardy by a mile.
5 you do not have room for that many fish in a 20 long or tall. You could probobly do 3 of the 4 species.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions! Really helpful :D

Just to clarify it is a 20 Gallon so 75 Litres

Would the Corydoras be better with shrimp rather than loaches?

How about:
1 clown pleco
4/5 honey gourami
5 Corydoras (either sterbai or julii depending what the store has in)
Some shrimp
A small shoal of something?

Any other recommendations for nice shoaling fish that would fit in the tank?

Could that work ?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CorydorasCats said:

How about:
1 clown pleco
4/5 honey gourami
Some shrimp

Could that work ?
This stocking sounds alright to me, once again I don't know much about the Pleco other than they stay fairly small.

I'll clarify what I meant by 20L, it refers to the tanks dimensions "20 gallons long" The tank is 30" long instead of 20-24" giving your fish more horizontal swimming space.

I would get what you're planning here first and then decide if you want a school of something. Honey's would look great on their own.

I'm not actually sure how well shrimp would do with Corys, since Corys diet is mostly protein based I can imagine not well.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
. . . I'm not actually sure how well shrimp would do with Corys, since Corys diet is mostly protein based I can imagine not well.
I've had corys in my quarantine/cull shrimp tank for several weeks and haven't noticed any issues. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think a shrimp would just about have to swim into a cory's mouth to be eaten.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don’t know about kuhli loaches as I’ve never kept them but if you go with zebra loaches or dwarf chain loaches then I don’t think shrimp would fare well.
I agree with not doing yo-yos. They are one of the more active loach species and could potentially aggravate your other fish even if in an appropriate sized group. And according to what I’ve read, the yo-yos grow quickly so you might find you need a larger tank sooner than expected.
Welcome and good luck with your tank! :)

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much guys I am sooo excited to get to my fish store :D

I was thinking of a small shoal of rummy nose tetra just to add a little to the top section! I think I’ll give the shrimp a go and hope for the best as I do love the little guys!

Thanjs again for everyone’s advice !

LuxuriantTen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rummy nose tetra's are amazing they're my favorite schooling fish, because unlike many shoaling fish they actually stick together and swim through the tank as one :)

You probably already know this but I would not buy all the fish at once.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
CorydorasCats said:

How about:
1 clown pleco
4/5 honey gourami
Some shrimp

Could that work ?
Yes I it could I would cut out gouarmis and do pleco, Cory's and maybe 6 to 10 small tetra that like mid to top water.

I love cardinal tetra

2 nice schools and a pleco

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LuxuriantTen said:
Rummy nose tetra's are amazing they're my favorite schooling fish, because unlike many shoaling fish they actually stick together and swim through the tank as one :)

You probably already know this but I would not buy all the fish at once.
They are really beautiful! I’ve been watching videos of them schooling and they look great!

Could I get the Cory, Plec and Gouramis at once or is that perhaps too much?

Thanks for your help :D

LuxuriantTen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd say that's a bit much even. You need to consider that, even though your tank is cycled, it's cycled for the amount of 'bioload' it's currently holding. (If you cycled it with for instance fish food there are enough BB to keep your ammonium levels down for the amount of fish food you threw in). If you add too many fish at once the bioload can easily exceed the current capacity of your bacterial colony. So I'd start with the gourami's (or te tetra's if that's what you decided on), then two weeks later I'd add the cory's and another week/2 weeks later I would add the pleco. This way your bacterial colony has time to expand when more nutrients become available for them, minimizing the chance of an ammonium spike :)

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LuxuriantTen said:
I'd say that's a bit much even. You need to consider that, even though your tank is cycled, it's cycled for the amount of 'bioload' it's currently holding. (If you cycled it with for instance fish food there are enough BB to keep your ammonium levels down for the amount of fish food you threw in). If you add too many fish at once the bioload can easily exceed the current capacity of your bacterial colony. So I'd start with the gourami's (or te tetra's if that's what you decided on), then two weeks later I'd add the cory's and another week/2 weeks later I would add the pleco. This way your bacterial colony has time to expand when more nutrients become available for them, minimizing the chance of an ammonium spike :)
Thanks :) I do currently have fish in so it’s not that I’ve not got any bioload being produced but they are being rehomed as I wanted to change up my stock! I had no idea what kind of fish I wanted at first so just took whatever the LFS suggested (which was all wrong surprise surprise!)

I get the stock I’ve suggested isn’t exactly the perfect choice for the size of tank but hopefully I’m the near future I will be getting a much larger tank that they can thrive in!

I also have plenty of seachem stability left to top up and help the BB along when I start to add the new fish!

Wish me luck everyone and thanks again for all your advice! :smuggrin:

LuxuriantTen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No problem and good luck with your tank! Make some pictures when all your new pets are settled :)

New Threads