Stocking Question

Ree C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I have researched a bunch, but want feedback about my stocking plans for my 55 gallon planted freshwater tank. I am coming to the end of my fishless cycle, and hope to add 8 skirt tetras, 6 rasaboras and 6 cory cats. I believe all can be happy at about 75 degrees, which is god for the cats who like it cooler. Anyone see issues or concerns? I think this will allow me to add to the tetras if I find a larger group needed to limit nipping....thoughts?

Ree C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trainandfishguy said:
sounds like a very good plan. You can probably add another group of schooling fish as well.
anything you would recommend?

Ree C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trainandfishguy said:
sounds like a very good plan. You can probably add another group of schooling fish as well.
That is how I have added fish in the past to my other tank, however, with this as my first fishless cycle, since I am dosing ammonia up to between 1 and 2PPM and it is dropping to 0 in 24 hours, with 0 nitrates, I have read that I can stock the fish almost all at once, as the cycle has loaded on developing the beneficial bacteria.... Any experience with this?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
J J Carter said:
Seems fine to me, I'd add each group over a period to weeks to allow the beneficial bacteria to increase to match the growing bio load
I think she can buy all the fish at one time but just don't put them all in at one time. I had started my 55g tank and I purchased all 20 lemon tetras, 2 blue acaras and an angel fish. I floated them and added them in a span of 2-3 hours to avoid any crashes. I think this is the best way of doing it cause it reduces the risk of another fish being added in that has a disease and destroys the original inhabitants.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are converting 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, I think you are good to add everything.

But i’m cautious and paranoid so if it was me, I would add all three schools, at the numbers you suggested. But would increase the Cory school to 8-10 in a couple of weeks and the rasporas to 10_12 in aa week or so.

Instead of another school, I would add to what you are planning. I believe it’s a good plan.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom