Stocking Question

Professor Catfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 2 peppered corydoras, one is juvenile and one fully grown at about 2 inches (My prized Betty Boop, she's been with me over a year). Recently lost two due to, well you know how it goes, some aquarium disaster. 2 Otto's and a few cherry shrimp.
Is 4 Corydoras too much for a 10 gallon, with 2 otto pals? When I had all 4 I noticed the Otto's displayed schooling behavior with them, supposedly a natural thing due to predators being less likely to go for spined fins on fish (corys). My LFS convinced me 2 Ottos would be fine in this set-up but I get mixed messages all over the place.
I would upgrade to a larger batch of salt and pepper pygmy corys but I love my Betty so! She has survived through all my tank mishaps and I'm very attached to her. If all goes well I could upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon in a couple of months... which would be preferable of course, in any case.

BUT TO THE POINT. Is 4 Peppered Corys and 2 Otto cats (although only a pair they display completely healthy behaviour) okay for a 10G? I'm starting to doubt myself and don't want undue pressure on my precious fin babies.
I was going to add some more RCS shrimp (tiny bioload) and 2-3 Amano shrimp, I know they poop a lot but my tank maintenance is probably better than taking care of myself

Opinions, critiques and suggestions all welcome

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Peppered cory cannot permanently live in a 10 gallon, they’d need a 20 to get that footprint that’s ideal for them. Since they are bottom feeders, they need longer than taller, and more footprint.

I wouldn’t put the otocinclus with them either, not in the 10 gallon.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely look at upgrading to a 20 gallon long (around 75cm or so) or a 30 gallon. As has been said, a 10 gallon is too small for corys. Then you can fill out your school more as well

Professor Catfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys, they do seem to be getting on perfectly well I suppose I fit into an exception. If they displayed unusual behavior I would have passed them on to a friend by now. They shoal and display healthy social lives all around the tank. The tank does have much more width than depth (not like those popular tall Nano tanks of recent).
I am excited to upgrade for them as soon as possible ^.^

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom