Stocking Question

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 20 gallon tall aquarium that I plan to put just male guppies in. I was thinking about have a main fish like a dwarf gourami but I read that the disease Iridovirus is common with them. What kinda of center fish do you think would be good?

How many male guppies can I keep? I was thinking around 10 but I know that have a tall tank can mess with stocking so I'm not sure if that's a good amount.

Can I fit a small school of otos in there?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you planning on fancy male guppies? It's just that each one of them would be quite colorful and a focal point in and of himself. 10 would be a good amount--I wouldn't go over that if they have really huge tails. I would stay away from gouramis as they're soft water fish with the exception of 3 spot and the various color morphs. I do not know if they'd pick on the fancy guppies, however, as I never tried to mix them. My 3 spot gouramis were a bit aggressive.

I'd be hesitant to put otos in there as they really want soft, acidic water as opposed to the guppies who need hard, alkaline water. If you really need an algae eater, I'd recommend nerite snails instead. That way, if there's less algae over time, you won't have to worry about feeding otos.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't put ottos in there, but you could certainly fit some shrimp/snails in instead. About the centerpiece fish, I think the ten male guppies will look striking enough by themselves, but if you feel the need to get a centerpiece, then look into the Honey Gourami. They're like dwarf gouramis except they don't carry Iridovirus, and are more peaceful than the dwarfs. I personally also think that they look better too.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Man, I wish my mom would let me upgrade this tank to a 30 or 40 gallon lol. So would 8 Male Guppies and 1 Honey Gourami or just 10 Male Guppies work? Personally, I like having a mix of fish but I also understand that this is a small tank. Could I put Amano shrimp or Bamboo shrimp in there?

By the way, the tank is pretty heavily planted so fish have lots of hiding spots.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Either stocking option would work perfectly fine as far as I can see. Concerning the shrimp, Amanos would work, but I think bamboo shrimp would be a bit big for that kind of tank. Personally I prefer Neocaridina Davidi over the other kinds, but that's just my opinion.

Abby565

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honey Gouramis really need to be in groups, or at least a pair. How about this?

2-3x Honey Gourami
6-7x Guppy
5-10x Amano Shrimp

Then you can have a little more variety.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Either stocking option would work perfectly fine as far as I can see. Concerning the shrimp, Amanos would work, but I think bamboo shrimp would be a bit big for that kind of tank. Personally I prefer Neocaridina Davidi over the other kinds, but that's just my opinion.
Wouldn't the guppies eat the Neocardina fry?

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is a worry but if you have enough cover most fry should make it to adulthood, and the adult shrimp are to big to get eaten by the guppies.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honey Gouramis really need to be in groups, or at least a pair. How about this?

2-3x Honey Gourami
6-7x Guppy
5-10x Amano Shrimp

Then you can have a little more variety.
If I got a pair would it have to be male and female?
That is a worry but if you have enough cover most fry should make it to adulthood, and the adult shrimp are to big to get eaten by the guppies.
What about the Gourami? I would love to have a colony of Orange Fire Sakura Shrimp in there but I just want to make sure its safe.

Abby565

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If I got a pair would it have to be male and female?
It works better that way. It is possible to keep two males because honeys are an extremely peaceful fish, but your tank has to have lots of floating plants and be very heavily planted.

LaniKai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for all the info guys now I just have to decide which stocking to choose. Maybe when I have everything put together I'll take a photo and post it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom