Stocking Question 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fish_lover313, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Fish_lover313Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone,

My sister just bought a 10 gallon tank, for tropical fish. She wanted to do:

1x Sparkiling Gourami
    3x Cherry Barb
    1x Platy
    1x Male Guppy

She had asked me if this stocking would work but I wasn’t sure. Thanks!!

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

No on the cherry barbs because you need at least 6 for a shoal to keep them from freaking out and possibly getting nippy, and then that many of them would be better off in a 20 gallon. Sparkling gourami is going to want soft, acidic water while the livebearers want hard, alkaline water. It would be better to stick to an all soft water or all hard water grouping. Quite frankly, that's a very small tank, so I generally tell people that smaller tetras, such as neons, cardinals, and Pristellas or else a handful of fancy guppies would be a better idea. Another idea would be some Endlers.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Fish_lover313Valued MemberMember

Thank you for the advice. We went to the petstore today and got

2x Molly
    1x Platy

for her tank. I am going to put them into one of my tanks for a bit. She wants to do a fish-in cycle, how long should we wait before putting them in?

4. jaymethyValued MemberMember

I'd advise returning them and doing a fishless cycle. But if you are doing a fish in, I'd buy tetra safestart, or seachem stability AND seachem prime. Add one of those (according to dose on the bottle, or even a little bit more), and then float the bag of your fish in the aquarium to acclimate them. After about 15-20 minutes at a cup of aquarium water to the bag and then wait another 15-20 before adding the fish to the aquarium.

You'll also need ammonia, nitrate and nitrite water testing supplies. I'd test daily until you are cycled. If the ammonia reaches above 1ppm, you'll need to do a 50% WC. Same with certain levels of nitrate or nitrite (I'm not sure what the measurements for that...). If there is any ammonia or nitrate or nitrite then dose with prime. Keep doing this until your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all 0. Then you are cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice