Stocking Question 55 Gallon Tank

1. xapoc Member Member

I want to know if this is max capacity I have for my stocking needs in my 55g aquarium. Just want to get the feeling where I'm at.

My current fish is as follows:

2 x angel fish, 1 mature and 1 few month old, both males, they paired up, I added female at one point and I had to remove her from the tank after a week, she was at brink of exhaustion, traumatized, damaged fins and all that, ended up returning to LFS

4x blue rams, its either 1 male and 3 females or 2 males and 2 females, had those for 2 months ( get along very well with other same size fish, sometimes male will chase off angel

4x black skirt tetras
    5x rosy tetras 1 died due to ick disease
    3x flame dwarf guramis - all males
    2x brown kuhli loaches - have 4 - 6 coming this week striped kuhli loaches
    1x red tetra glow fish

I keep my water temp 79-80F

Perhaps few snails, few small size plecos?

Whats your thoughts guys?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The skirt tetras and glo fish need 75f or below while the angelfish need 78f+ and the GBR need 80f+

If you keep the water warm you could swap the skirt tetras for 10 rummynose tetras and add a clown pleco.

For snails you could add rabbit snails and nerite snails.

3. xapoc Member Member

You sure about those temps? I checked liveaquaria and they all fall into my temp ranges.
    The clown pleco is VERY nice! but expensive, I will hold off on that one for time being unless I find them for decent price.
    The rummynose are okay, they just dont spike my curiosity. I'm really digging ram's and guramis, I really like fish with personality. Tetras are overall boring, unless I find something more peculiar that can dig my existing community.

As far as snails, I've read that kuhli loaches like to eat snails, so I need to do more research as to which ones could survive, perhaps assassin snail?, they very slow to reproduce and kuhlis wont eat them?

I dont know, thanks for input Bottomdewller.

4. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I've never seen a kuhli eat a snail, I wish they WOULD... my son's tank is plagued with Malaysian trumpet snails.

Clown plecos can be found at PetSmart and Petco fairly inexpensive.