Stocking Question

1. A

Ashleigh212614 Initiate Member

I have a 37 gallon aquarium. We have had it for a couple of months, but are still very new to everything. I am curious if our tank is full or if we are able to add anything additional. I don't want to cause any overcrowding. Below is what we currently have.
    1x Platy
    3x Black Molly
    3x Blue Guppy
    2x Tiger Barb
    5x Zebra Danio
    2x Black Mystery Snail
    1x Plecostomus

Any help is appreciated.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What type of plecostomus do you have?
    Zebra danios are not temperature compatible with Tiger Barbs.
    Tiger barbs need to be in schools of at least 6.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I wish the people at the store would have told us that. We have had both the Danios and the Tiger Barbs for over 2 months.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Zebra danios and tiger barbs are temperature compatible

What type of pleco?

What gender are your platies, mollies and guppies?

5. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Those tiger barbs will probably pick on the guppies as well.

6. FishFish221

Ok, so they are, but there is only a small overlap of their temperature requirements. What temperature are you keeping your tank?

7. OP
    OP
    A

Is there anything I can do about the Danios and Tiger Barbs being in the same tank? I am surprised that I haven't had any issues with either. Our tank is sitting around 78 degrees.
    The pleco is a rubber lipped pleco.
    I believe that my platy, mollies, and guppies are all female.

8. FishFish221

You will want to lower the temperature to 75f for the zebra danios.

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

78f is too warm for the pleco, danios, platy and a little warm for the barbs. I'd keep it around 73-74f

I don't think you're badly overstocked but I wouldn't addd anything else apart from 2-3 more danios and 6-7 more barbs.

10. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You have two groups of fish that need a much bigger group. Tiger barbs def. I would remove the tiger barbs and bump the zebra danios that you have. what kind of pleco? common?

11. OP
    OP
    A

Will do. Thank you all for the help!

The pleco is a rubber lipped.

12. Sarah73

Ok, so a cooler water fish. Tiger barbs need warmer water like said above. Have you tried any veggies for the rubber lip pleco? they sure do enjoy their veggies. Would you want to get rid of the tiger barbs?

13. OP
    OP
    A

To be honest, the tiger barbs are my favorite out of the ones I currently have. We have algae wafers that we add to the tank for the snails and pleco.

14. Sarah73

OK, so if you want to keep the tiger barbs I would highly advise you to remove the guppy, danio, and maybe the rubber lip pleco because the danios and pleco need cooler water. The guppies will be getting nipped at with how little of a school their are of tiger barbs. So after you remove the guppies and danios start adding more tiger barbs. Also maybe lose one of the mollies or remove the lonely platy to have more space for your tiger barbs to keep the aggression down.

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Tiger barbs do NOT need warmer water. They are fine at 73-74 F as well. In a large enough group, the tiger barbs should leave the livebearers alone, but keep an eye out for nipping and remove the guppies if it's a problem.