Stocking question

Pearl

Hi;

I've been keeping fresh water fish for about eight years. I'm new to the forum, and also new to keeping rosy barbs.

I recently "rescued" my mother's last surviving fish (a male rosy barb) from a 10 gallon tank. I started up a 27 gallon bow front for it and it is very happy in it's new home! Lonely fish though.

My question is this....can I stock the tank with male Rosie's only?

chrt396

Yes and no. While they are small...it might be OK. They are very active swimmers and like the longer footprint of a larger tank..55 and up. They also grow to about 6 inches. Now..it may take some time to GET to 6 inches...but if you have no plans to upgrade..then I would not consider a tank full. I have a 29 gallon tank tht has 5 of them. They are small however. As they grow..they will be transplanted into my 90 gallon tank. They start getting cramped in a 29g.
Now...Tiger Barbs might be a great idea for a 27 or 29g. They are active and cool looking..and incredibly fun to watch at feeding time. When I watch mine...they look like little Piranha with stripes!! LOL!

Pearl

Thanks so much for the feedback Anders. I added 5 Rosys to the tank before receiving your response. I will monitor them closely. I really don't have anything larger to put them into. If it becomes a problem I will have to find a better home for them.

Anders247

Thanks so much for the feedback Anders. I added 5 Rosys to the tank before receiving your response. I will monitor them closely. I really don't have anything larger to put them into. If it becomes a problem I will have to find a better home for them.
Lol, that wasn't me who posted that, it was chrt396. I liked his post though.
Welcome to fishlore!

chrt396

It will take a while for them to get real big, They are pretty slow growers..but by the time they get to an unmanageable size..you'll have a 200 gallon tank and about 6 other tanks all running!

Latest threads

Top Bottom