Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bellusion, Jul 23, 2015.

1. B

Bellusion Valued Member Member

Hi all. I won't be adding any fish to my tank for a long while, but I'd like to start making a plan and doing care research.

My tank is a 20 gallon long, with a 100w heater, a Tetra Whisper 20i filter, fake plants, sand/gravel mix substrate.

It will start with 6x Diamond Tetras and 1x ghost shrimp.

I'd like to add another ghost shrimp and a couple of cherry shrimp.. but I was reading that the ghost shrimp will eat the cherries?

I'd also like a couple of brightly colored fish. What would go well with this tank?

Thanks in advance.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

The Tetras will most likely eat the ghost shrimp.

What larger fish are you going to use as a center piece fish?

Carol

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Ghost shrimp will not harm cherry shrimp for the most part. I have read that too, but think it stems from a ghost shrimp catching an already dying cherry shrimp.

Ghost shrimp will do well in that tank, but the cherry shrimp would get eaten pretty quickly by the tetras unless you added a ton of plants and hiding spots for the cherries.

Some harlequin rasboras would look good, I love them, and then are very hardy.

Here is an article I put together on getting started with freshwater shrimp, it should help....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bellusion Valued Member Member

Thank you for the link, look forward to reading it.

I have put the harlequins on my possible list, I will have to go see them in person.

Are guppies and dwarf gouramis out of the question with the tank size and the diamonds?

5. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

I agree with Dolfan on adding a school of harlequin rasboras. I currently have 4 regular rasboras in my 20 gallon high tank and love them. The colors on the rasboras are really nice looking and they are very peaceful fish. Once my LFS gets more purple harlequin rasboras in I plan on buying 4 of those to complete my school.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with Dolfan, but I will say that ghost shrimp don't usually live very long because they are poorly handled in stores and while shipping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice