Stocking Question? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by riptide904, Jan 6, 2013.

1. riptide904Valued MemberMember

In a week or two I'm going to have a free 10G tank and I have a question on stocking. My sister has been begging for a betta and I really love them, so I think I want it to be a betta tank. What other fish are compatible in that size tank? I really love pygmy cories, and the LFS just got a new shipment, would those be okay? I have smooth gravel roughly the size of a quarter and smaller, as well as a heater.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I suppose you could try it. I certainly wouldn't try keeping a betta with other fish in less than a 10 gallon, and I think a 10 is the smallest tank to keep pygmy corys, though I'm sure someone who has actually kept them (not me) might say otherwise.

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i think the betta would try to eat them but if you can return them you could give it a try. its really best to keep bettas by themselves. they usually will allow snails in there tanks you could get 4 of these guys...

4. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I have done some online research on this topic because I am also hoping to someday use my 10gallon as a betta tank (after I have fully stocked my 29gallon - right now this 10gallon is my quarantine tank).

Some people say it is ok to keep a betta with Pygmy cories as long as the tank is at least 10 gallons. Others say not to.

Another option is to get a divider and have two bettas separated in the divided tank.

Also a betta with inverts might work. Possible room mates include: a nerite snail, ammano shrimp, or a mystery/apple snail.

I am strongly tempted by the betta with apple snail option myself. What I read for that is that one would need to first introduce the snail to the tank, wait a while, then introduce the betta, so that it is not another creature added to the bettas territory but the other way around. Now it might not work, so one does need to have a backup option. My plan is to add a divider to separate betta from snail if needed. This plan however would not work for Pygmy cories because they need a minimum of 10 gallons of floor space. However, I think the part about if you try it, add the betta into their tank rather than add them into betta tank would apply, and then you would need a backup plan just in case.

5. OP
    OP
    r

riptide904Valued MemberMember

My sister pressured me into getting a really pretty red female betta today, so she's in temporary housing while I wait for my new tank to cycle up. She was in with some guppies and a molly for half an hour and wasn't at all aggressive, only poking at some snails (Sadly not eating them, this infestation is waaayyy out of hand. I don't necessarily need to get the pygmies, and seeing as this is going to be an eleven year old's tank eventually I'm sure she'd prefer some more colorful friends for her fish.

6. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I successfully kept a betta, 2 endlers, and 6 pygmy cories in a 10 gallon tank :)

7. OP
    OP
    r

I like the look of endlers, very bright and colorful. :)

Would platies be okay? I've wanted to get Mickey Mouse platies forever, but I don't know if they need a bigger tank or would nip at the betta. I've also looked into an oto cat, as the tank they'll be in is cycled with an abundance of algae.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

The best option in my opinion would be to keep the 10g as a dedicated one betta tank

9. OP
    OP
    r

Sorry for my constant waffling between choices, it seems my taste in fish changes every 10 minutes.:p

However, I like the idea of a small setup with 4-5 endlers or neon tetras. I think they'd be easy first fish for her to take care of and are small enough for a 10G. This betta got along with some particularly pesky guppies for a while, I think she'd be alright. Which should I get?

10. fishlover123456New MemberMember

i have bought and put bettas in with other fish like zebra dainos glass barbs and snails, and swordtails if your LFS cashier says it is a bad idea to have a betta with other fish it is because the average pet store does not train their employes well

11. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I'd disagree with that. I think there are different schools of thought on bettas in community tanks, and some people decide that it is better to just never risk it because if it goes bad, it can go very bad. While many people on fishlore have MTS (not the snails) but there are many people out there who only have one tank, and if someone has only one tank, and no backup plan for how to separate the betta from other fish if they happen to get an aggressive betta and the community betta tank is not working out for them, in such a case I think it is safer not to risk it. I am considering someday getting a betta with tankmate(s), but I would not do it if I did not have a good backup plan in mind ready to be implemented as needed.

12. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree and disagree. I would be happy to hear the LFS employee tell someone it's a bad idea. Because for beginners, it is a bad idea. I agree that they are not trained well. Of course, it's not really a job for which you can "train". Without experience, they are just mindlessly repeating things that may or may not be correct. Either way, they are unable to educate people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice